News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

6 cyliner power

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-01-23 17:33

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hi All,

I saw a 59 barn find two door for sale that has a 6 in it. Ideally I would like a V8 as I would love to tow a canned ham with it. But then again, you don't see too many 6's out there so it would kind of unique. Question is this, what is the performance like on these cars with a 6 under the hood? It says Auto in the ad so I am guessing with a heavy car like this the performance and MPG are sluggish to say the least. Is it possible to do an easy engine swap later on down the line if I want to oomph it up a bit? What is entailed with a swap (rad, brakes, suspension etc.)?

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

brushwolf

I would expect it to be pretty weak if used to V8 power.  The automatic  makes it worse in my book.  But, if you like the body and want to swap in something else there are plenty of options and you can make it as simple or complex as you want. 

5.0 engines are easy and cheap, 351W, 351C for a step up in power, even the less popular 400M would be great for towing.  Has similar torque to a 460, but far lighter.  Not a hi-revving motor cuz stroke is longer than a 460 (hence the abundant torque).  Probably would want to upgrade to front disks and good capacity radiator for towing also.

Y block 292 or 312 would be period correct, but the FE series would be also and is going to be better for towing than a Y block.

An FE (352, 360, 390, 428) could be made to look period correct since those motors have been around since 1958.  So, in a 59 that would be a bolt in also. C6 transmissions are available for all those engines. (3 different cases depending on which motor, small block, FE, and 385 series). 429 and 460 can be done, but they are so long and heavy that it becomes a bigger job.

A C6 transmission for any of those motors would probably not set you back too much and they are a tough transmission, but they do not have an overdrive.  Not really a problem unless you do a lot of freeway driving.  If you must have overdrive and want to keep it as an automatic, that is going to put the transmission cost significantly higher on anything but a small block (small block includes 351's).  Stick overdrives can be done a lot cheaper, but probably not as convenient for towing.

Most economical swap would probably be to buy a complete good running older car or pickup with a poor body and existing 9" axle so you have matched motor, transmission, radiator, and rear gearing all in one fell swoop (though with the existing 59 automatic differential you might not even need to change that 59 differential, if you used a C6 transmission).

I would guess every one of those aforementioned V8 motors are being used by one or more members of this board, so there are plenty of people that can offer advice once you decide what you want to do. At least a couple people are even using the more modern 4.6 engine,but those are more complex with FI and computers to deal with, so...

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

1930artdeco

Yeah i am expecting my Outback and or Model A to perform better. But the price is very reasonable and the car looks to be in really great condition inside and out, except for surface rust on the hood and fenders. But since the car is white that should be an easy sand and Earl Shieb to seal it up until a full resto when I retire. One thing it does have going for it is someone added AC-I am guessing dealer. If I can find a place to store it then I just have to convince THE BOSS.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

SkylinerRon

The FE and Y-Block are bolt in just get the stock V-8 mounts for 1959.

Ron.

59meteor

I may be biased, since I own a 59 2 door sedan, but I say if it's as good as you think, and the price is right, go for it. 60 year old rebuildable projects are not getting any easier to find, and mechanically (7 thru 59 Fords are very similar. Being a FE guy, I also have a bias there as well. I have owned pretty much every version of a pushrod Ford V8, Y block/small block/ 351C/429-460,& the FE, and I have always liked FEs. I have owned every size FE, from 332/352 up thru the 427&428, and there is more parts available for the FE now than there was when I started racing them in the mid 70s. I love the 428 Cobra Jet and 4 speed in my 59, but if the car is planned to be a driver that gets a lot of miles per year, the practical choice would be a 302, but then how practical is a 60 year old car anyhow!???? If the 223 6 cylinder runs good, you could drive it as is until you decide what your ideal running gear choice is. But personally, if the 6 needs much work, I personally would rather put that money towards something stronger. As for styling, although I do prefer the looks of the 57, I have always thought that the 59 looks pretty cool from the sides and rear, the front not as much. I always like seeing 58&59 Fords besides the Skyliner retractable hardtop, since the "lesser" models seem to get overlooked by most. But I smile everytime I look at my 59.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

59meteor

Styling wise, I always liked this view of my 59.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

dgasman

That?s a beautiful 59 you have there. I always love the post cars .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

1930artdeco

From the pics I see of it, there is only the surface rust, no cancer. But then I would have to look underneath at the frame and rockers. If a Y/FE block is a direct bolt in, that is a plus as I would just drive it for now until I decide to upgrade. This will be my retirement project so have to keep it going for about 15 more years. I may even drop a 300 6 in so I get the 'good' MPG and can still tow, I will have to wait and see. What all needs to be swapped out for a V-8 drop in?

59Meteor-can you post a few interior pics please? The ones they posted are not the best. But, the AC and auto are a plus for the missus.

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

59meteor

Mike, I removed the seats and door panels from my 59 a couple of weeks ago, and they are at the upholstery shop waiting their turn. And in the spring, hoping to get the headliner, windlace  and carpet replaced, so not much to see on the inside at the moment. Plus I took the heater box out, so the heater core can be repaired. So the inside is pretty barren at the moment. Is the 59 you are looking at a sedan or hardtop?

rmk57

Your car looks very nice Rory. I was looking forward to the old time time drags at Mission racing you, and it aint going to happen now. I take it you found an upholstery shop near to where you live?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

1930artdeco

Meteor,

It appears to be basic car with a wrap around rear window and two doors. I am just trying to find a place to store I don't have space in the driveway or garage right now.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

59meteor

If you do buy it, be sure to put up some photos. All the 59 Fords had the wrap around rear window like mine, except for the Galaxie models which came on line mid production. (and obviously wagons, Rancheros, Sunliners etc.)
And Randy, yes I found an upholstery shop, (actually a couple) within a hour of home. I was really hoping that I could have ran the Loafers Oldies race at Mission last year, but Covis screwed that up. Lets make a deal, we are both retired now, you bring your 57 for a race here in Nova Scotia, and I will bring my 59 to Mission! It`s only 6000 km (4000 miles) each way. :003: We do get much less rain here! :004:

1930artdeco

Looking like I may not be able to get it unless something happens-Like I get more money for a move, house and new garage. We will see in that area, but here it is if anyone wants it, check out SF craigslist.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

SkylinerRon

That looks like the loss leader priced car for 59.

Those strippo cars are very rare, would be a cool resto.

Ron.

59meteor

Yes, thats the base model Custom 300 Tudor sedan, same as mine, other than mine is a Canadian Meteor. The next step up would be a Fairlane, with extra lower trim below the top trim, and also have stainless trim around the door frames and rain gutters. That appears to be a nice solid car, at least from that angle. Hope you can get it, or at least it finds a good home. IF I was looking for another 59 project, and was 5000 miles closer, I would be all over that car!