News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

hub caps

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-02-15 22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Just curious as I cannot find them in any catalogue. The 57 had a full wheel cover but I haven some with a dog dish style where you can see part of the wheel itself. Anyone know the name /year/model or where you get them?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

djfordmanjack

the smaller dogdish hubcaps were on (some of) the cheaper Custom models, they are chromed steel. you should be able to find them with well sorted reproduction companies. For 57 the painted part is WHITE ( I think it is red gold black for 55 and 56 and 58, please somebody correct me about the colors/years).
The full wheel covers are stainless and I am not sure whether or not there is a repro available. these hubcaps are very, very durable and can be nicely restored ( dings removed/polished) and usually are not hard to find. They are often advertised on ebay and I think you should get a decent driver quality set for $200-250, maybe even cheaper if you look around or collect single covers at local swap meets or search craigslist.
There was also a genuine Ford accessory full wheelcover available, called the Sunburst. I am not sure if these were also used on the Tbird, or if the T bird covers were model specific ?!

Ecode70D

Günter
     Why didn't you tell me that they are so valuable when you saw them  laying outside near the back fence ? 
I'm still not going outside in the snow and rain to look for them.  Jay

djfordmanjack

I did not tell you, because I picked them up and took them with me.....  :003:

lalessi1

The dog dish or poverty hub caps are not reproduced for a '57. I bought two sets on eBay and Guenter was spot on the going price for a pristine set. They were standard on all '57s, '58s and '59s cars and T-birds,  I think. Wheel covers were an option. The color is different for a certain year or model, not sure. White for '57s. '56 hubcaps are reproduced but they are NOT the same.

This is what they look like...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1958-1959-Ford-Fairlane-Thunderbird-Ranchero-T-Bird-Dog-Dish-Hubcaps/303819772886?hash=item46bd11d3d6:g:jr8AAOSwQGpezDJ~
Lynn

Ecode70D

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-02-16 06:53
I did not tell you, because I picked them up and took them with me.....  :003:

That's what I was hoping that you did. 

abe_lugo

best price on both size caps are on ebay or the occasional seller. I recently bought a set for about 100.00 shipped.

I would say there are enough out there that you should be picky and pay a little more for a non-dinged set.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

djfordmanjack

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2021-02-16 10:54
I would say there are enough out there that you should be picky and pay a little more for a non-dinged set.

Very true !
Unless you wanted a set that matches an old patina survivor car.