News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

suspension part numbers

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-03-25 22:27

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hi All,

Seeing as how I have to rebuild my front suspension/steering I have begun to source out NOS parts. Is there a part number list that I can use to make sure I am getting the correct part numbers? Say they have a pic of the original box and part# on ebay or anyplace else.

Thank you,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

SkylinerRon

Finding NOS parts will be hard. I'd try TRW/MOOG as they are OEM quality parts.

Ron.

djfordmanjack

Mike, you need to get workshop and parts manuals anyways. exploded views, parts#, and descriptions will lead you a long ways on your project. there is the turquois 57 Ford pssgr car shop manual. the yellow 55-57 chassis parts book, and the blue and black 49-59 parts books (illustr./text) among others.

you just really want the turquois one. the blue and black books are always good to have because you get the basic knowledge about Fort part #s system. those are really comprehensive, heavy books with literally hundreds of pages, like an oldschool phonebook each. all of them are frequently available on the internet, either good used originals, HQ reprints or even discs or possibly downloads with digital files.

basically our cars start their numbers with a B7, meaning B for 1950s and 7,.... well you guessed it  :002:
then there is the parts description number which like 6050 ( right off my head) is a cylinder head IIRC, A and B suffixes are different orientation, with further indices for development/changes.

A certain part could be the same for several years so there may be B5-*** parts on our 1957s, like hardware, engine gaskets aso. some parts can be used on older cars ( replacement) so you might even be good with a B9 or C1-*** (1961) part in some cases. you will benifit a lot from having and understanding those numbers and manuals. Besides that- I personally think it just adds to the hobby, when thumbing through old literature and learning those things. it makes it even more interesting. imho.

Lgcustom

An additional thought is you don't really want NOS suspension parts with rubber in them because of the age of the rubber. It will deteriorate quickly. As suggested TRW/MOOG are your best bets.

mustang6984

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2021-03-28 15:45
An additional thought is you don't really want NOS suspension parts with rubber in them because of the age of the rubber. It will deteriorate quickly. As suggested TRW/MOOG are your best bets.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                 x2  :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Thank you folks. That is what I needed.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan