News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Removing rear shocks

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-05-30 21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Ok, I got the bottoms nuts off the shocks and went to remove the top. The bolt just spun. Is there a bolt head I can hold onto or is it fixed to the support somehow?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

59meteor

Which model? On the sedans and hardtops, the top and bottom of the rear shocks have a stud on each end, with a nut. On wagons, Sedan Delivery, and Ranchero models, there is a stud on the bottom, with a tie bar on top, with a nut and bolt on each side, so a total of 4 nuts and bolts for the upper rear mounting.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1930artdeco

Sorry I need to change my tag line to include the wagon. Ok, that makes sense that they would be bolts. Just was sure if they were caged or not.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Rancher

I just finished this task, rears on a Ranchero. Top of shocks were anchored by common 5/16 hex  bolts and nuts, no special captive hardware.

If the upper hardware is in good condition and not being replaced one of the two upper bolt sets can be just loosened instead of removed. The shock will tip out of the loose bolt. Makes it easier to hang the new shock and start the other nut. I loosened the rears, removed the fronts.

This truck's suspension seems to be OE but  the extended length of the catalog recommend shock seemed short. I felt that the shock might "stub" on a long stretch-out. I tried a couple of brands, including one packaged in 1966, they all seemed short, to me.

( You know how a '57  will "float" going into a dip with the 'shine tank empty. LoL )

I went by the spec section of the catalog and found a shock that had a longer extended length. To boot it has a slightly shorter compressed length. All seems well with a road test.

If it's of any interest I can dig for and post the part number.

gasman826

Early GM 'F' body QA1 single adjustable were the only shocks that controlled the rear end the way I wanted (that I've tried so far).  Double adjustable let me tune the front and eliminate the 'float'.  Most brands of shocks available in the big box stores are owned and manufactured by companies owned by Tenneco...Monroe Shock.  So buying a different color doesn't change the performance.  As to length, my 10.5" tires clear due to disc brakes.

suede57ford

gasman826, I see you have a rear sway bar under the housing.    What application was it for?   I've been adapting similar under the housing design from a 69 mustang application as well.

I agree that there are very few shock choices that control the rear of our wagons/cars.  The QA1 you recommended seems to be a good choice.   Could you list a part number if available?
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429