News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Getting tranny out

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-09-26 00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

What is the best way to my dead FOM out of the car? The cross member frozen in the frame at this point. So any ideas? I have one brewing that uses my hoist but wanted to hear the experts first?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

59meteor

When you say the transmission crossmember, is "frozen" in place, do you mean that somebody welded it to the frame? I have seen that a few times, as it is not uncommon for the bolts to either snap off when trying to remove them, or the threaded bolt holes in the frame rails strip out. If you want to leave the crossmember alone, I would recommend removing the engine and transmission as a single unit, and then unbolt the transmission once the engine is out. You may be able to slide the trans far enough back to remove the torque convertor and bellhousing, and then "nose drive" the transmission between the back of the engine and the crossmember, but I have never tried that, plus the trans is a pretty awkward, heavy, and most likely, slippery, item, so kinda dangerous in my opinion.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1930artdeco

Thanks Meteor,

Crap, there is no engine in the car now and the granny has been sitting on the exh pipe so long that it compressed the part that goes right over the crossmember. I can soak the two bolts that hold the cross member on either side for about a month or so. Does the cross member then just drop out?

The way I was contemplating is to use my hoist, bolt it to the bell housing and then see if I can gingerly scootch it over the pipe and cross member out the front.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

59meteor

Is this a sedan/hardtop/wagon, or a convertible/retractable? Not sure about the later models, but the non open roof cars have 3 bolts on either side , attaching the transmission crossmember to the sides of the frame rails. Since you have no engine, I would try using the engine hoist to pull the transmission, but be aware if you use a chain on the bellhousing, once the tailhousing clears the crossmember, the trans will turn straight up, spewing trans fluid from the end, unless it is fully drained, or you have a slip yoke over the output shaft splines, or some type of plug.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

The trans cross member should slide out with a little persuasion from a hammer and block of wood.  One thing you could try is place a floor jack under the transmission pan, then remove the cross member. Lower the jack and roll the trans out. Make sure the car is jacked up high enough to clear the bellhousing.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Once the bolts are removed, a little persuation with a BFH should get it out by tapping the crossmember towards the rear of the car because the frame gets wider behind the crossmember.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

Even more fun is when it is time to reinstall the crossmember, and trying to get those six bolt holes lined up again! A tapered line up bar and hammer are very handy.

1930artdeco

Thanks guys, I am guessing that they only put two bolts in at the factory as that is all I see. I started soaking them with kroil today and will try to unbolt them next month or so. I am in no real hurry as the engine and new tranny won't go in for awhile yet. This is just something that needs to get done eventually.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

Should be three.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-09-26 13:54
Even more fun is when it is time to reinstall the crossmember, and trying to get those six bolt holes lined up again! A tapered line up bar and hammer are very handy.
X2, always a fight for me on every 57 I have owned. I wonder how the factory did it? Maybe they bolted the cross member to the frame rails before welding the other cross members
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

59meteor

Jim, considering how "sprung" the transmission crossmember seems to be, I wonder if maybe they welded the end mounts of the crossmember that bolt to the frame rails, onto the center tube section, after the ends are bolted up? Also, the welds on my 59s transmission crossmember are really ugly, like done by a high school shop students first attempt at welding.

lalessi1

I saw an NOS cross member once on eBay, the ends were separate... I bought a '59 to put in my car (it had a fabricated one) and it went in about as well as could be expected. I use a large ratchet type tie down wrapped around the front part of the frame to pull it in place.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Must be a per-car thing. Mine was just perfectly snug. went in from the back to within a 1/2 inch or so, then a few taps with a nylon mallet got it right where it needed to be. Could be all the welding I did on mine shrunk it up a little. I don't remember how tough it was to remove, but you'd expect a rusted-in one to be a little tougher to get out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: 59meteor on 2021-09-27 11:41
Jim, considering how "sprung" the transmission crossmember seems to be, I wonder if maybe they welded the end mounts of the crossmember that bolt to the frame rails, onto the center tube section, after the ends are bolted up? Also, the welds on my 59s transmission crossmember are really ugly, like done by a high school shop students first attempt at welding.
Thats a good possibility. I've heard a lot of people complain about the welding on the frames and I have to say mine are pretty good in all the locations. Did Ford make the frames or were they supplied by a vendor? I seem to remember the truck frames were supplied from a vendor..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

The welds on mine are embarrassing.  Texas car.  I was dying to redo all the the welds but that wouldn't be right for a correct restoration.  Ugly but correct.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.