News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Getting tranny out

Started by 1930artdeco, 2021-09-26 00:22

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I really have no problems with the welds on my actual car frame, but some of the welding on smaller pieces, most noticeably the transmission crossmember, and to a lesser degree, the upper rear shock crossmember, and a couple of the body mount brackets. But I suppose that we need to keep in mind, back then, much of the welding would have been stick Arc welding, by an actual human, not the sterile computer operated procedure, with everything held in perfect alignment with complicated jigs and fixtures. I like watching some of the auto assembly line films/videos on youtube, quite a contrast between a modern factory, and one 40,50, 60 or more years ago.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Rancher

Funny, I was just studying the welds on a frame cut that I'm using for a try-out mule.

I was wondering if it wasn't the weldor's first frame, on his first day?  :003:

Stick welds. Looks like the current was set to 500 amps and the operator had to drag as fast as possible.

I'll snap a pic at my next work session.

mustang6984

When I had the body off my Courier and was removing 60 years of dirt/surface rust etc I noticed the the welds looked different in quality from side to side and in a couple of cases front to back. Almost like the guy was more awake by the time the tail of the frame got to him that when he started at the front.    :icon_scratch:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Rancher

Of course Hentry liked to keep it all in-house, but are  y'all familiar with the Mechanical Marvel?

http://smithpumps.com/news/1012/articles/worlds-first-automated-construction-assembly-line-the-mechanical-marvel-4/

"...By the spring of 1921, the Mechanical Marvel was ready for operation.  It was capable of manufacturing 10,000 frames per day.  Each frame required 552 separate operations and in an average day the Mechanical Marvel exceeded 4 million operations.  Every eight seconds a completed frame went to storage or into a railcar for delivery to the automakers.  This historic assemblage of machines and processes required 180 men to operate it.  In contrast, before the Mechanical Marvel was put into operation the Company could produce 3,000 frames per day with 2,000 operators.

The Mechanical Marvel manufactured frames for 37 years until further welding advances in frame making mandated retirement on June 24, 1958.  By 1978, the A.O. Smith Automotive Division had supplied in excess of 93 million passenger car frames and over 33 million truck frames.  The Mechanical Marvel received recognition by the ASME as a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark in 1979."

hiball3985

Great info, thank you for posting. That link kind of confirms my thinking that the frames were made by a vendor..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Interesting.  My uncle worked at A O Smith until he retired in the early 70s.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

59meteor

...In addition to Ford frames, and later the 68-70 Shelby Mustangs , AO Smith also manufactured household appliances, like hot water tanks.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.