News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Electric fan?

Started by 1930artdeco, 2022-01-15 20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Ok, I am slowly getting to the point where I need to make a decision about the original or electric fan. Here is my rational, electric does not suck up the power that a mech fan does so I get more HO and better MPG. Now she will start out with a gen and no AC. Eventually she will get AC with an original under dash unit. If the gen will hold up I will keep it if not I will go with a power gen Alt/gen. I will also run LED headlights/tail lights and  Newport electrical wiper set up. So with this info what is the consensus?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

gasman826

Generator won't do.  Clutch fan helps performance and no load on the generator.

1930artdeco

Ok, so alternator it is or clutch fan. Which clutch fan are people running?
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

Ford Blue blood

Early T-Bird (62).  Keeps engine right on 190 in the shop on a 95* day.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

If you don't have an issue changing to an alternator....do it! There's a reason the world changed. JFYI, I am running a Lincoln Mark VIII cooling fan attached to my repro '57  Aluminum radiator. It's almost a perfect size, and moves more air than almost anything on the secondary market. One thing to consider with the electric cooling fan is current draw. Mine requires a 70 amp relay.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Here is a universal clutch and a separate fan that will do the job.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17119

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-2947

I have had cooling issues and I am running (2) electric fans. I tried a single electric fan and it didn't move enough air for my engine. Running a Y-block you can use almost any fan. I would use a clutch fan. To best use an electric fan you should use a controller to thermostatically turn the fan on and off. Added complexity and wiring are not worth the effort IMHO. I have in my "parts bin" a a factory fan with clutch, a Flex-a-lite fan, A single Derale electric fan/shroud/ and controller. Any or all of these items can be had VERY reasonably if you are interested PM me. An alternator is a must for me.

Lynn

59meteor

Personally, I would much rather give up a few HP that a belt driven regular fan consumes, than deal with the hassle of trying to make an electric fan or fans actually cool the engine . Stock dimension 57 style radiator are fairly narrow, and don`t lend themselves to adequate dual electric fans, and I have yet to see a single electric fan that will give good results in long idling periods on a hot day. And I see no way that a factory 30 amp generator would run such a fan anyhow. Looks like you are trying to "fix" a problem that does not exist.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1930artdeco

Not trying to fix a problem that doesn?t exist, just trying to plan ahead. The engine gets stuffed next month-I hope and I am starting to add things to it. I still have to get an electrical system put together so was just trying to decide about adding the fan or not before I put the engine and radiator back in. I didn?t realize that T birds had clutch fans so may go that route. As far as the Gen goes I will probably go with the power gen alternator. That way I have the look of a generator but the oompf of an alternator.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-01-16 08:12
If you don't have an issue changing to an alternator....do it! There's a reason the world changed. JFYI, I am running a Lincoln Mark VIII cooling fan attached to my repro '57  Aluminum radiator. It's almost a perfect size, and moves more air than almost anything on the secondary market. One thing to consider with the electric cooling fan is current draw. Mine requires a 70 amp relay.

Rich...........What additional information can you supply regarding the Lincoln Mark VIII fan.........Year? What is the year range....If you know? And the radiator you are using......Where did you buy it?  Model, inlet /outlet location?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

Radiator is from Auto City Classic...............they're in our list of suppliers. Great radiator. Mine is the v-8 model top right inlet, and bottom left
The Mark Viii cooling fans are getting hard to find as they've been popular with guys upgrading their current systems. 1993-1998. I got my 70 amp relay system from Ron Francis. My cooling fan almost never runs unless A/C is on. My engine runs at 195, but sending unit is set to open at 204, so fans almost never get a signal from the system to turn on. That's why I installed an inline switch and indicator light so I could manually turn the fan on if I was anticipating a problem.
I've got pics of the install..if I can find them.

RICH MUISE

sorry for the hijack, Mike. John, Here's some pics of autocityclassic radiator and Mark VIII fan

gasman826

I used Lincoln fans with very good success.  The only down side was when I ran out of spares.  They were getting old and too much demand.  I better way to size a fan is less about diameter or CFMs, it is more about gaging the amp draw.  A 70 amp fan is going to move more air than a 40 amp fan.

RICH MUISE

upside of the MarkVIII fan is they sell replacement motors and I even found OEM wire connectors at Rockauto.com

KULTULZ

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2022-01-16 20:09

Here's some pics of autocityclassic radiator and Mark VIII fan ...

That is an absolutely beautiful install ...

BTW - TAURUS electric fans were popular at one time also.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

Fairlane62

I also used the Auto City Classics radiator that Rich mentioned, but I ordered it with their shroud and electric fan.  It keeps my 408 Cleveland at 190 degrees in the summer.  I used thermostat controller from JEGs.  Only possible downside is the shroud is bright aluminum so it may not look good in some engine bays.

James