News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A/C pics needed

Started by 1930artdeco, 2022-04-29 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

Hi All,

Can those who have A/C in there cars please post some pics of the compressor and routing. I am starting to add things to the engine and cannot for the life of me figure out how they hung the compressor and routed the tubing.

Thanks,

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

The way you've asked the question makes me wonder if you meant condenser? The "how they hung the compressor" would depend on the engine being used
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Which compressor are you trying to use?  Stock 57 cast iron or aftermarket aluminum? There are at least 3 different mounting styles for the Y-Block. A pic of all the parts you have would help.

Ron.

1930artdeco

Right now I don't have any parts for the AC system other than the under dash unit. I am going to use an aftermarket system eventually and the only spot I really have to put the compressor is above the gen (312 Y block). The condenser I think is hung in front of the radiator since there are two holes in the rad support to the left of the radiator. So I a, trying to picture the bracket for the compressor and tubing. Although I think the tube routing will be really complicated. I will try and post a few pics of where I think things will go.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

Don't know about the compressor routing on a Y-block, but the condenser doesn't have a lot of room available for the tubing runs. That's one reason why I changed out my hood springs for hydraulic lifts. Doing that eliminates the bar that would normally ride inside the spring, so nothing protrudes below the sheetmetal hinge housing. I think iirc, Vintage air makes a right angle fitting for coming off the condenser and keeping it close. Not much you can do IMHO planning-wise until all the major components are in place. For all of the tubing runs, I used 'em all! some rubber (off the compressor), some aluminum (from vintage air, for condenser area), and some braided ss Aeroquip for inside the engine compartment.

Marc

Here are some screenshots from the parts catalog that might help you out.

Marc

And 1 more:

1930artdeco

The more I look at those scans by MARC, the more worried I get about making a bowl of spaghetti with this AC system. I am going to have tubing going every which way. Oh well, It will happen.

Mike 
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

RICH MUISE

Yeah, way back when.......I was working on all the A/C lines, making the loop from the compressor to condenser to dryer to evaporator, and my brakes with all the plumbing between the power steering pump, hydroboost, rack, and then the heater hoses, and my 4.6's unusual radiator hose setup with 4 hoses, I thought it would never end. It took longer to do all the plumbing than it did the wiring with the 90-something wires to the computer! Also, as Gasman told me once, it is the most overlooked cost when figuring a build estimate.

Jeff Norwell

Have you spoken with the guys at Vintage Air?.... not sure if you are wanting to stick to original .... but Mr Love has the complete unit for your 57.
great guys with tons of tech help.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

1930artdeco

Not yet. I will eventually but things are on hold right now.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

lalessi1

I used a system of "my own design" mostly with Vintage Air components. The most important decision I made was to use a Aeroquip/Eaton hose system that Vintage Air offers as a kit but that can be purchased directly in pieces from other suppliers. The beauty of these hoses and fittings is they are smaller in OD and much more flexible than standard A/C hoses plus they can be cut and put together VERY EASILY! I routed mine through the inner fenders. I didn't remove the fenders but you can easily run them into the interior where the cowl drains are if you do. The pressure side of the compressor goes through the inner fender and through the top of the air deflector plate behind the grill. The drier is mounted behind the grill next to the condenser and the drier outlet goes through the top of the other air deflector through the back of the inner fender to the firewall bulkhead connector to the evaporator. The return to compressor runs through the bulkhead and along the firewall below the wiper motor back to the compressor. I used a Mark IV Vintage Air evaporator. My car does have an FE and the compressor is on the upper left hand side of the engine. I can furnish as much or as little info as you (Lol). I tried to take a couple of pics but most didn't make much sense. I did remove the heater in my car though and all A/C holes are in the block off plate for the heater. I HATE drilling holes in my car! You can literally run all the lines and almost see NONE of them except for the couple connected to the compressor. Questions?
Lynn

gasman826

As others have said, Vintage Air makes Y-Block AC brackets.

1930artdeco

Ok, was finally able to get pics of eng bay for location purposes. I am planning to put the compressor above the gen at this point. You can see the holes in rad support for the condenser. The holes for the evaporator on the fire wall are just above the throttle linkage. Either way the plumbing will end being interesting.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

gasman826

Now would be a good time to upgrade to an alternator!