News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear drive shaft u joint question

Started by 1930artdeco, 2023-05-14 19:03

Previous topic - Next topic

1930artdeco

OK, finally got the drive shaft cut down and installed. Figured that I have the bolts in backwards by looking at the illustrated parts book. I can fix that with some different socket bolts and lock washers. My question here is that another group says that is not a ford factory U joint set up.

After looking at the same illustrations, it looks like someone (either Ford or later) swapped out the spicer u joint holder for the 56 model u joint holder. I still think this is the original Differential and face plate judging by the amount of rust on the outside and lack of wear on the teeth of the pinion gear.

After I swap out the bolts will this set up hold up to road work? Or will it vibrate itself apart?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Looks good to me. I have a 9" sitting on the floor in the shop...want pics?
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

1930artdeco

Sure thing. This is the first one I have ever worked on. I just want to make sure it does not come apart on me going down the road. I think at some point I will swap out face plates to a spicer just for ease of parts and maintenance.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

I'll shoot a couple of pic. The one on the floor is not hooked up to anything, the one on the Fairlane is disconnected, and the bolts and nuts are bagged and stored. But the drive-line is still there and I can set it in the carrier for you and shoot that pic too.
I should have them up here before noon on Monday your time.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

That is NOT the correct rear driveshaft U Joint setup for a 57 Ford, or any other Ford 9" that I have ever seen. Other than some later versions, like Lincoln Versailles, that had a flat flange, every 9" that I have ever seen or worked on, have a pinion yoke with 1/2 round indentations, that the rear U Joint fits into , with a small tab on each side to ensure the U joint is centered, and a pair of U bolts that surround the bearing caps, go thru the pinion yoke, and are secured with 2 nuts on each U bolt.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Ford Blue blood

Have to disagree with 59meteor, the 57 Custom I parted had the very same ujoint setup as pictured.  It did not have nuts as the flange was threaded.  Given there were so many assembly plants and Fords tendency to use "left over" parts on the next MY run they may well be 56 stuff used on a 57.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

I've seen two types over the years but nothing like what is pictured. The tapered drive shafts have the same type as a 1956 and similar to the picture and used bolts going into the threads in the U joint and the later ones used the U bolts. I noticed in the picture a Zerk fitting in the U joint cap, I've never seen that before?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

I've never seen a setup like the one pictured either. Mine February, San Jose build 57 had the regular 1330 Ford yoke. Mine also did not have the hooded pinion support. I don't believe that is the original 57 differential.

A closer look I think it's a C7 engineering number on the support?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Perhaps some more pics of the differential housing, including rear cover, and any identifying numbers might help to figure out what it is. Mine is not like the pic shown, it is what 59meteor described. Seems likely it is not an OEM differential, but what is really puzzling is that Bill had experienced a similar one. '56's were not 9".........can you imagine the issues for an owner trying to get parts as simple as brake shoes?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

1930artdeco

It is possible that the diff is not original to the car-but it sure has been there a loooong time due tot he rust level. Plus there is almost zero wear on the pinion teeth. And looking at the illustrated parts book the 59 9" looks identical to mine. This is why I assumed it was original to the car. I am well versed in Ford using up left over parts on the next year cars coming from the Model A world. Plus if the differential was made early enough in the year that is a very real possibility.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

Here are the pics of the Fairlane in my shop...
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

57chero

It might be the original housing with a swapped out 3rd member?

59meteor

Quote from: 57chero on 2023-05-15 12:56It might be the original housing with a swapped out 3rd member?
Pretty much not the original 3rd member, being that the pinion support has a C7 casting number, as well as the later style small pinion seal.
The photos posted by mustang 6984 is how every 57 and later Ford 9" that I have ever owned or worked on looked, with the rear U joint sitting directly in the pinion yoke. Unlike his photos, all my 57s had the necked down driveshaft, really small diameter at the diff end, although all my 57s were the shorter wheelbase Custom/wagon style. Maybe Fairlanes had a driveshaft that was the same diameter the entire length? I know that is how my 59 Custom 300 style driveshaft was, the same diameter all the way. For 59, the 116" wheelbase was discontinued, so all 59 Ford full sized cars rode on a 118" wheelbase.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

1930artdeco

OK, now I am nervous. The drive shaft is necked down like it should be for 57. And even if the 3rd member is a 67 part will this whole set up work going down the road? OR do I need to pull the diff and send it in for a u joint carrier swap to a spicer set up?

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan