News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Core Support Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2022-04-21 05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Currently, I'm in the process of installing the inner fenders, Core support , radiator, condenser etc. and have this question.
At the top and approximately at the center of the core support,facing the radiator, there is a 1/4" to 5/16" hole........What goes in that hole? My guess is a rubber bumper of some description.

Thanks
John

hiball3985

Mine doesn't have anything in it, or I missing something?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Mine is empty as well. Maybe for a clip to hold OEM wiring??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I think that some holes like that were just used in the manufacturing process, maybe to hang it for paint?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Thanks for the replies..........I'm moving the radiator forward, and the hole I described and the metal around it, stick out, towards the radiator. Didn't want to cut it off, only to find out I need it.
I miss posting photos!
John

KYBlueOval

I just read that photos are back. I'll get one of this hole in the core support posted. Stand By!
John

KYBlueOval

Here are a couple of photos of this "Hole". Now that you can see what I'm talking about........What purpose does it serve?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

No purpose that I know of. I think you would be safe to remove it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Lgcustom

It's most likely a tooling hole used in the fixture he front end was assembled in since it's at the center of the rad. support.

And yeah that photos are back!

gasman826

That hole is where I fasten brass window screen to strain the bugs and slow the stones.

abe_lugo

I moved my radiator forward and didn't remove that bit.

You do have to be mindful of the radiator cap.  I had to use a non safety release latch. Just use a flat one. I also has to tap the tank a bit down around the neck. 

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

KYBlueOval

Thanks Abe........my plan is to move the radiator forward as much as I can and down about 1/2". Thanks for the heads up on the cap.
John

abe_lugo

I was also told that there is mercury radiator tank that has a lower water neck that fits in this space but have yet to actually see it discussed anywhere.
06AF406F-9328-48B4-9F08-D0ED081C2CB7.jpeg70EF3DD4-482E-4BFB-A606-CC3D98373D70.jpeg 

abe_lugo

Here is mine the rusty one and one I saw today at the ford show in Irwendale.