News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

223 - 390

Started by cr 57custom, 2007-01-28 17:17

Previous topic - Next topic

cr 57custom

I just purchased a 390 and would like to know what i am up against? Will the 6 cylinder rad keep it cool? Are the coil springs strong enough if it drops it a couple inches and still rides ok thats fine. I think I am going with the C6 what machining do I have to do with the driveshaft? It has manual steering how heavy will the steering be will it be inpossible to turn from a stop? What do I use for motor mounts? I have seen a few answers to these questions but if someone has actually done  this swap the answers would be greatly appretiated. If there is anything I left out that may be an obstacle please let me know. THANK YOU

shopratwoody

I have had Big Blocks in mine for 40 years w/o power steering. The 390 is about as much of a bolt in as
you'll experience. I used to buy 58 352 mounts, add a little to the trans pad on the crossmember. The early
model flat ex manifolds will fit, but very restrictive. I know astock v/8 Rad will work. Of course the driveline
will be shortened, prolly need a yoke for a c/6. The springs a not an issue. It'll steer hard, depending on
how much Castor in the front end. At least in 57 everything, bearings, wheels, differential etc were not
downsized for the 6 cyl. model.
Have Fun, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

The 66B I just stripped had a 390 in it,the only tight spot I saw was the drivers side exhaust manifold rubbing the steering box. These were the old flat type manifolds.A couple of fixes would be headers,or the newer style exhaust manifolds. I have a 69 390 ,which has the staggerd bolt holes ,and uses a more swept back manifold.Looks like a better fit. Something i'm looking at doing which would solve two problems; The f150 power steering box stays two inches from the frame,and the head of the box is over the frame. Giving you more header room, and power steering. Just a thought, Mark

JimNolan

Hi,
  Just a note on headers for the 390. I'm running 76 truck exhaust manifolds on my 390. They suppose to be a little bigger I heard. Gives me about 1 1/2 inches from the top A arm. I run power steering and the aftermarket headers they make can't be used with power steering.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

fordlover84

JIM,
how does the stock manifolds clear the steering box? I also have '76 exhaust manifolds and they hit the steering box big time.

shopratwoody

"the early flat manifolds fit and don't hit anything" :003:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

I talked to a guy on the lunchmeat site a couple months ago, and he said he uses 67-70 Mustang FE headers on his, has used them on three previously, and has them on the car he has now, which is a `58 Custom 300.  He says they only require minor tweaking, no moving of any tubes though.  Its worth a look if you can find a set cheap.  The best thing about them is that they dont hang down too low, and you can still drive the car with them.  The Crites headers hang down under the stock crossmember and you just about cant lower the car and still be able to drive it.  Just a thought.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

cool57

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

Jeff Norwell

Thanks Ron for the info!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford_Crazy

Just a note on the 6 cylinder spring issue.  I kept the original 6 cylinder springs in my 70A.  My 390 has an iron CJ 4V intake manifold, so I don't think you are going to find a much heavier FE motor. My stock springs were in good condition and equal on both sides, so I gave them a try.  The FE motor and T-10 only dropped the front end about 1".  The ride with stock gas shocks is good. The car doesn't handle all that well, just like a stock 57 Ford with a big block swap.  When you stab the gas pedal the front end lifts and the rear tires churp just like hot rods used to do.  It's a hoot.... :002: