News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'68 302 motor ounts

Started by Love57s, 2009-08-24 12:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Love57s

Is there any way to get these to work ? I'm wanting to put a '68 302 in mw 57 Town Sedan.

57AGIN

Love 57s:

The best setup I found was a triangular set of motor mounts from the Midwest (used to be Butch's Rod Shop).  As you have probably found out the small block Ford uses a horizontal type of motor mount, while the 57 setup was more for a vertical type of mount configuration.  The Y-blocks and FE motors use the 57 type of mount and pose no problem.  Many guys have said they used a small block mount from a particular year of model of Ford product, but I haven't seen the final product in place.  The best I can do is show you the difference between the two types of motor mounts.  Note that the triangular mount has two bolts for mounting the motor mount to the engine mount cross member, while the stock small block mounts have only one bolt to do this.  The horizontal portion of the triangular mount uses the original small block holes in the engine block.  The only negative about the triangular mount was the original rubber donuts had to be replace within a year by modern technology urethane bushings that won't deteriorate.  I've also included a shot of a mock-up motor being fitted into my 57, using a small block motor mount.  As you can see the single bolt small block mount doesn't come near to providing a good solid mount.  The cost was not excessive, but I don't know where they can be located today.  There must be a number of 57 owners with small blocks that may know where they can be found today.

Bob
57AGIN

Love57s

Has anyone out there made any mounts ?

tarheel57

I am going to run either a 302 or 351w in my 57 custom 300 that Im now in the process of building.I have ask around and three different people that fools with 57 fords have told me to use (new) motor mounts for a 1971-1972 ford pickup that came from the factory with a 302 or 351w.I was told that NAPA keeps these in stock,or can get them.I think the part numbers are (parts masters-- 2220 and 2221  L & R ).If these are not the correct part #s they should have them.It will be a little while before Im at the point of needing them,so let us all know what you end up using.There may be someone on this site that has already used these that can give some input on them, Good Luck :unitedstates:

Love57s

Thanks for the help everyone ! I'll see what I can do.

shopratwoody

I would look at mounts for a 64 Galaxie with a 289 for a place to start. Can't be hard
I hate blocksanding!

57chero

www.butchscoolstuff.com has motor mounts and other stuff for fords.

57AGIN

Love 57's:

I was under my 57 this weekend doing an oil change and took a couple of photos of the Butch's Rod Shop motor mounts as installed.  It looks like any one with some welding skills could fabricate a similar setup.  There is a picture from each side of the engine.  The one with the battery ground strap shows the upper engine mount & the urethane biskets a little better.  It is a very sturdy setup.  Hope this helps. 

Bob
57AGIN

meteor

I used gearheads mounts;

http://www.ndgearheadscruiserproducts.com/id26.htm

we used a spacer as well, maybe 1/4"...
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

Frankenstein57

I used the fox body mustang 5.0 mounts, had to open up the slot in the plate on the cross member, but it fit pretty good. I have a picture in under construction. They were cheap at autozone, Mark

Dennis_W

It may be too late but I just joined recently. The absolute easiest way to put a Windsor engine in a 57 is to go to the auto parts store and buy a set of motor mounts for a 70's smallblock pickup. They have one stud for the frame side and will slide right in place with no modifications.   :deadhorse:

ranchero57

wow-just happens that I have a 302 block bellhousing and 5 speed hanging on a chain and have been trying every kind of motor mount I could find.1986 mustang will not work-I had a ford truck 70s pair of mounts that fit properly.But still wanting more rear weight,I went to napa and auto zone and did some research.The napa 2220 and 2221 (in the pictures)did not look like they were anywhere near what would work.93 and later mustang has the stud spread out so wide that they sat on top of the crossmember mount nowhere near the slot.I settled for the ford truck mounts,they have an inch of clearance above and to the front of the big round tube.My ranchero is on a rotisserie and rotating it upside down makes the next job of fabricating the trans. crossmember a snap.After I cut the hole for the shifter and supported the rear of the trans.I realized that I could not have moved the assembly rearward more than a half inch.So here are the good numbers napa-602-1265,autozone duralast 2329(7.99 each).Hope this helps some of yall.Campy--ranchero57

ranchero57

I forgot to add that I had to elongate the slot in the frame bracket about 3/8 inch and the motor sits in tne proper location.The mounts that bob was trying to use look like the correct  ones,just need the slots die ground downward.CAMPY--RANCHERO57

Dennis_W

Quote from: Love57s on 2009-08-24 12:27
Is there any way to get these to work ? I'm wanting to put a '68 302 in mw 57 Town Sedan.

Mounts from a mid-70's truck will drop right in. They have one stud on the frame side and it will fall right into the slots with no problem. I don't know part numbers right off, but they will be easy to find.

Dennis

buckie405

I just installed the 93 mustang mounts in my 57  "BUT" I modified them and moved my engine back 1-1/4 inch. side to side there is about 3/8" clearance from the a-frames.
  Im thinking I might need a different pan ? mine has a drain hump at the front and the back .Im thinking that could give me some steering clearance problems?
                                                                            What pan should I have?
                                                                                           Buckie