News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

-74 360/ 390 truck into 57 Ranch wagon

Started by Lono, 2010-08-12 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lono

I bought a ranch wagon with a stock 6 cylinder / speed overdrive thats doa.
I was given a 74 truck if I want it thats running a 352/ auto.

I was wondering about the swap ( I'm going to start it in a couple months, just now gearing up for it), would that motor bolt up to the standard tranny or should I be looking at installing teh auto at the same time?

As for the motor itself, will I be looking at new motor mounts and can i use  the stock exaust headers or do I need to switch out?

thanks guys.
\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

KidKourier

Lono,  The 352 F.E. came as an option in '58,so go down to your local parts house and ask for engine mounts/tranny mount(assuming the trans from the truck is a C-6) and bolt it right in! You'll have to replace the 6 cylinder radiator as the inlet/outlet will be wrong(measure the trucks rad. for fit) and some rubber gas hose as the 6 cyl. runs down passenger side.the stock 352 exhaust manifolds will work--check the trucks driveshaft f or length,other wise use the front yoke on the '57 shaft and you may have to change out the speedo gear and check the oil pan on the 352(front sump or rear).There's enough aftermarket suppliers for parts to get 350/400 hp out of the 352 and still be a reliable daily driver.  KID

KidKourier

Hey Lono, just read your other post about your other '57's and seeing as how you have too many of them and you want to get that retractable and I'd like to save you the countless hours of aggrevation on that drive train swap! Soooo,how about  I take that Ranch Wagon off your hands("Picture"--Ranch Wagon cruising along the beach on a sunny day following Pacific Coast Highway here in SoCal,listening to surf tunes on the stereo!) What say bro ??? LOL  ---(You have a great bunch of '57's and welcome to the site!   KID

Lono

You're offer is overwhelming Kid, thanks so much... wow now I do feel right at home.  :002:
chuckle... maybe we should talk, my last 31 Roadster is heading down your way now.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Lono on 2010-08-12 14:54
I bought a ranch wagon with a stock 6 cylinder / speed overdrive thats doa.
I was given a 74 truck if I want it thats running a 352/ auto.

I was wondering about the swap ( I'm going to start it in a couple months, just now gearing up for it), would that motor bolt up to the standard tranny or should I be looking at installing teh auto at the same time?

As for the motor itself, will I be looking at new motor mounts and can i use  the stock exaust headers or do I need to switch out?

thanks guys.
make sure it has car type exhaust manifolds,the left truck type will not clear the steering box

Lono

thanks guys.
Hope to drag the truck home next weekend. Will be starting the project in early september. For now.. its summer, sunshine and car shows!  :003:

canadian_ranchero

if it is the original engine it would be a 360 or a 390.check the serial number or the engine ID to see what size it is

Lono

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-08-18 23:34
if it is the original engine it would be a 360 or a 390.check the serial number or the engine ID to see what size it is

will do. the 352 came off the valve cover label.

Lono

Started making room in the garage yesterday for a motor re and re. Moved the fairlain into its winter storage spot at the house ( but will have it  out a few more times this year).

This morning I went down and lubed up the cylinders in the truck. If the owner can fit it in, we'll drive it straight up my driveway this weekend and I'll pull the motor/ tranny. He wants the rest back for selling for scrap later on.  Cant complain about that.

Motor turns free by hand and was on the road daily until '99 when he parked it. He had rebuilt the motor in 97 so he thinks he has maybe 10, 000 on the rebuild.

Wonder how this is going to fit now I know its not a 352.

wildhog

LONO, 360 TRUCK MOTOR IS THE SAME CASTING AS A 352.  332-352-360-390-406-410-427-428 ALL F.E. FAMILY MOST PARTS INTERCHANGE. HOPE THIS HELPS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Lono

thanks Tom.

Do you know if i can use the truck motor mounts ( reverse them) or will I be looking for car motor mounts?

thanks to everyone... I'm feeling like a dolt on this project.  :dumbass:

wildhog

LONO, THE EASIEST THING WOULD BE TO ORDER MOTOR MOUNTS FOR A 1958 FORD CAR WITH A 332 MOTOR. STILL CAN GET FROM ANY PARTS HOUSE. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Lono

still waiting.
In the mean time, the oil pan... I'm guessing I'll need a front sump?

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Lono on 2010-09-14 18:55
still waiting.
In the mean time, the oil pan... I'm guessing I'll need a front sump?
if my memory is correct the truck has a front sump pan and should fit with no problems

Lono

Think you'r right too...
kindly disregard  :002:
A clear case of typing without thinking first  :dumbass: