News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

-74 360/ 390 truck into 57 Ranch wagon

Started by Lono, 2010-08-12 14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Lono

A battery, 2 gallons of fresh fuel, a can of ether and it was running in 10 minutes.

A little rev and a mouse nest blew out the muffler. then the long 1000 feet up my driveway to the shop. I'll gunk the motor and give it a quick scrub before pulling it next week.

\\\"I refuse to buy another project....is that car for sale?\\\"

Lono

I pulled the motor on sunday and I'll give it a little scrubbing before hoising it back in the air and into the 57 engine bay.

I know I have to change the motor mounts and the exaust maifold but this one looks a lot like the 390 in the fairlane.

a new use for styro... great for taking impressions where you cant get your eye balls.

the fairlane casting number that is on the manifold is c32e9431b -
the truck: D2Te 9431AA - I cant see the difference but there must be something cause i'm told they have to be changed out to clear the steering box.

Alas, caused there wasnt any exaust leak.  

canadian_ranchero

the exhaust manifold you need has a flat spot by the back two ports to clear the steering box.was used on full size fords 58 to about 65 or 67.with the 57 steering box the clearance will be tighter than a 58 box.you all so need to change the oil filter adapter to one that points down.i have been told a manifold from a 390 GT 66 to about 70 will also fit,if you have the right heads.hope this helps. 

shopratwoody

I think the GT manifolds are staggered bolt pattern. You've got
the straight horizontal ones in looks like.
I hate blocksanding!

Lono

a lot more scrubbing today on the motor with 10,000 miles post rebuild. Me thinks the miles might be a bit off by 60,000 or so from all the goop on it. Just glad I had the chance to drive it before I pulled it.

She cleaned up well enough for installing it.

But as always, I changed out the motor mounts for 332 motor mounts and thought I'd take a chance to see if it would clear the steering box, but when you think things will go smoothly you know what can happen...

IT FIT!!!! IT CLEARED THE STEERING BOX and there's plenty of room for exaust work...  I didnt have to change the exaust manifold! It dropped in like it was made for it.

Now I can move it into place by the work bench and start bolting it all together.
I do need to check out the tranny mount, but thats tomorrow.

Ford Blue blood

Nice work Lono!  Did the oil filter adapter work also or did you have to change it out for the one that points down?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lono

I need to find a downward poining one.
I guess a short filter wouldnt work eh?

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: Lono on 2010-09-29 11:06
I need to find a downward poining one.
I guess a short filter wouldnt work eh?
look for one with no rib on top,the oil holes inside are bigger[off 427 and was the service replacement]

lenh22

Did your engine have 3 bolt holes for the mount? If so what mount did you use? Any pics of the mount installed?
1957 4 Dr. Wagon, 390, FMX
1957 Ranchero 351W, Auto

Ford Blue blood

I have that car now, the mount has two bolts to the block and one to the chassis mount.  58 Ford 332 engine mounts were stock, same as the 292/312 mounts turned around.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lenh22

The 57 I have has two bolt holes on the frame. Do you just use one of them? Did the holes on the engine line up with the mount?
Lennie
1957 4 Dr. Wagon, 390, FMX
1957 Ranchero 351W, Auto