News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 Headers

Started by CDN.SD, 2010-09-05 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN.SD

Has anyone found any "normal" headers (IE, ones produced for a production 302/351W car) that will work on a 57? I've looked through the engine swap section, and haven't been able to find any mentioned. Personally, I would prefer long tubes, but if you've found some "shorties" that work, please post them too.

Equally helpful, would be if anyone has tried any that WON'T fit.

The car I"m working on will be a floor shifted AOD, probably using a 567 steering box, or possibly an R&P setup, but this might be a good spot to pass on ANY information that you may have on the subject (even manifolds for those so inclined).

Thanks in advance

PS, It might be an idea to make a similar thread for other popular engine swaps.
Necessity is the mother of butchery

wv 57s forever

i have a 351 in mine i used headers for a 67 fairlane with 289, automatic trans and they fit fine. when i take header bolts off pass side header will almost drop to floor.

57AGIN

CDN.SD:

I have a set of Doug's Headers on my 57 Custom 300, 351W.  They were off the shelf and made for the 65-7 Fairlane with a small block Ford motor.  I believe some very minor adjustment had to be made on driver side for steering box cleanance.  Photo attached.

Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr

Has anyone used the Hi-po cast iron headers used in Mustangs? Photo here...
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_1003_1965_hi_po_engine_versus_shelby_289_short_block/photo_08.html

I hope they will work. I have them on the 302 I just built. It "looks" like they will work...

Really looking forward to getting this installed...and getting that Chevy 350 outta there.

redshoes57

Fox bodied mustangs hd tube headers that will work. Im putting 351W in my 57 custom. I Picked up a set of BBK headers at a FORD swap meet  from a fox must They fit great.

ranchero57

Look at the pics j.potter took of my ranchero under construction on oct.28 2010.The headers clear everything with room to spare.I found them on ebay for about 125.00 they are polished stainless and very well made.They appear on ebay regularly.Campy

tarheel57

redshoes57,do you know who or were sells the BBK headers like you are using? and are they the short block hugger type or the longer type? Im also going to be running a 351w in my custom 300,Thanks Tarheel57.

redshoes57

Jegs has them. I believe that the FOX bodied mustang headers will do just as well.

redshoes57

I forgot to mention that im using rack and pinion stiring . Idont no what your clerence issues will be there.

tarheel57

I am also using the rack & pinnion stiring setup ( wild hog design ),so it should work the same.Thanks,Tarheel 57.

57squire

Hi Folks,

Can anyone confirm which headers will work with a 302 + AOD and stock 57 steering components in a 57 wagon?  I read through all the helpful comments already posted, but couldn't tell which header types would work with stock steering, as opposed to r&P or a '58 setup.  Thanks so much for your help.

Mitchell

P.S. Today I got my last missing piece of squire trim...couldn't be more excited about having a '57 wagon.  Thanks again for all of you that post and give us lurkers inspiration.

cool57

Quote from: ranchero57 on 2010-12-19 10:30
Look at the pics j.potter took of my ranchero under construction on oct.28 2010.The headers clear everything with room to spare.I found them on ebay for about 125.00 they are polished stainless and very well made.They appear on ebay regularly.Campy

These?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-86-93-Mustang-Ceramic-Exhaust-Headers-5L-302-5-0-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588708eaa6QQitemZ380222630566QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_4422wt_951

cool57

Quote from: ranchero57 on 2010-12-19 10:30

Campy, do you remember who the seller was?