News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1968 302" in a 57 ford 70A body !

Started by old skool, 2011-04-29 11:25

Previous topic - Next topic

old skool

hi guys ,

i picked the 302 engine up this saturday ,it lookes like it has been on the bottom of the ocean ,but after some good attention and refreshing  and work it's gonna be a sweet engine for my 57...

what's the ideal hop up configuration for the 68' 302 to get some reasonable and healthy horsepower ??

can anybody tell me that with some part numbers en brands ?

thanx already !!

and greetings from the netherlands  !!   O0

rico

canadian_ranchero

better check the casting numbers,looks like the engine is 1970 or newer[left hand water pump,4 bolt crank pulley]but the block does have the hole for the clutch shaft[used till 1974]just some info for you

old skool

this is the casting code that i found ....

code is :8C16

16 march 1968 ?

Ford Blue blood

Don't think that is correct.  The casting number is on the starter side just above and a little behind the starter.  It will start with a C (60s) or a D (70s) then have the year for the respective decade represented by the C or D.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

old skool

ok ,

from what year is this engine then ?

RICH MUISE

Old Skool..I'm just on the outside looking in, but if I understand Bill (Ford blue blood) correctly, they can't tell you the year because you are showing them a number which is not the casting number that will identify the motor. Sounds to me like you need to do a little more scraping in the area Bill described to find an additional number that will be the correct one.
Bill, Gary, anyone else:I do have a question regarding casting numbers in general though...when motors are built for a specific model year, say 1n 1968 for the new 1969 models...would the casting number indicate the actual year the motor was built, or the model year for which it was intended?
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

you could also get a mirror and look at the bottom of the heads beside were the intake bolts on,there is a casting number under there, that will tell you what heads you have.RICH ford may have used the same casting number for more than one year.what you need to look at is the casting dates.the casting dates are usually about 30 days before the build date of the car.i have a 4v intake off a 289 mustang,the c5 number was used in 64 1/2,65 and 1966.the casting date is may of 1964 so it came off a mustang built about june of 1964.i hope this helps   

buckie405

Im putting a 302 in my 57 hardtop ,what motor mounts will work the best?  I know its been done ! but do it  again!

Buckie