News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tanks Inc gas sending units

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-01-20 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I need to bring this up because I've mentioned the Tanks Inc. sending units on a number of posts in the past. I found out last night they almost won't work on our tanks. The oem and oem styled replacement gas tanks have a twist-type locking ring on them, and the Tanks inc sending units, as well as others, have a 5 hole bolt down plate. You can't even just weld up the holes as the thickness of their mounting plate is too great.
I really like the way their unit is made, and since I bought one to replace the flimsy unit that came with my gage kit, I decided to adapt it. Unfortunatly, the flimsy one I was replacing also had the bolt down design. I thought about welding the holes shut in that one, but I looked at my original sending unit that didn't work any more, but the top plate was in good shape so I disected the oem one and mounted the Tanks Inc working mechanisms to it. I also welded in a grounding stud.
The TI mechanism had to be altered just a bit to get it inside the hole..very tight fit, but it will go in. The rework involved grinding the side cover on the mechanism about 1/16 on each side, and cutting off the end of the adjusting down-strap. As soon as I figure out where I left my camera, I'll post pics.
I need to pay more attention to what I'm buying...but not sure how many options I would have had anyway to match up the ohms range to my gas gage.
First pic is the Tanks Inc unit on the right with the flimsy one I was replacing. Second pic is the unit installed on the oem Ford mounting plate, adjusted to the correct dimensions for the tank depth, and trimed to clear the hole in the tank.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

Rich, you do a good job of documenting your story, and solutions.

Looks like a good modern solution for the guys with aftermarket gauges.

LAUDY57

Rich, I'm wondering why you didn't use the Carpenter unit -it works with my Autometer gauge?
"That Guy" keeps stealing everything I put down!

RICH MUISE

I'm not familiar with the Carpenter unit. I needed a 240-33 ohm unit and Tanks inc had it along with all the other common ranges. I just didn't think about the mounting flange not being compatible. Things are not suppose to be smooth and easy anyways, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-01-21 12:38
Things are not suppose to be smooth and easy anyways, lol.

We can hope can't we????????
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II