News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 engine swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2009-01-25 23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

i found a 57 polaraire under dash unit and am modifying the lincoln a/c parts to make it work

rclaborne

The basic wiring kit is now completed. You may recall that I chose the DetailZone kit. There are a few new pictures on the second page here... http://tinyurl.com/24bnfp2

If you decide to use one of these kits whether the DetailZone or whomever, make sure that you check every single connector with it's mate on your engine and trans before you start wiring. You will save yourself a lot of grief and time lost if you do this first.

We are waiting on a fuel pump but in the mean time we turned the engine over to build some oil pressure and test compression. Should have the pump tomorrow and we can get the lines constructed and possibly fire it up this weekend.

Bob

RICH MUISE

wow...so much to digest. How much lattitude do you have in locating the "patch panel". I will have a lot of space in my center console that could be used for wiring. Doesn't the RF setup also incorporate the stock lincoln computer? Are the 4 connectors just ouside of the cowl side panel all ones you added as described in a previous post? Also, if I might make a suggestion, if you don't have your front sheetmetal installed yet, you may want to think about adding a rubber right angle hose fitting and dump tube to the cowl drain tube as it is dumping all that water just above all your wire. Thanks again for keeping us posted on your progress.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rclaborne

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2010-07-24 19:21
wow...so much to digest. How much lattitude do you have in locating the "patch panel". I will have a lot of space in my center console that could be used for wiring. Doesn't the RF setup also incorporate the stock lincoln computer? Are the 4 connectors just ouside of the cowl side panel all ones you added as described in a previous post? Also, if I might make a suggestion, if you don't have your front sheetmetal installed yet, you may want to think about adding a rubber right angle hose fitting and dump tube to the cowl drain tube as it is dumping all that water just above all your wire. Thanks again for keeping us posted on your progress.   Rich

Almost every wire in the kit has enough to go all the way to the back of the car so you can put the panel anywhere it can fit. However, they only give you 28 inches of wire to the VRCM. The VRCM has fins on it for a reason, so you'll want that thing outside. Think about this... Where ever this is it's going to have a massive amount of wires coming to it. Whether you split them into two like me or more, it will be very stiff and you need to plan for a reasonable service loop. also the ECU cable is very short as well as the VRCM as I mentioned. If I had a console, I would not put it there.

Any kit has to incorporate the Ford ECU. How else would it run? You can't see mine in the picture as it is up under the dash to the right of the glove box. The panel will mount vertically to the side panel. I'll make a custom boxed kick panel for it later.

On the outside I used the OEM 42 pin engine connector and two 16 pin trans connectors. Only two open pins remain. The forth one is the VRCM connector from the kit. The two rubber cable grommets are from the Mark VIII, very handy.

I thought about the drain tube. I'll probably do that to keep water out of the grommet seals; the wiring itself can handle the weather.

rclaborne

Thursday at 11:30 AM we fired the engine for the first time.

F570RD

Good for you rclaborne.I'm sure yours sounds sweeter than mine.Just lit mine up an hour ago and it has that dump truck sound with a low compression 460,close to 9 to 1,but less,and open headers.Not even close to being as loud as the big motor with muffs. :003:

rclaborne

Quote from: F570RD on 2010-07-31 13:23
Good for you rclaborne.I'm sure yours sounds sweeter than mine.Just lit mine up an hour ago and it has that dump truck sound with a low compression 460,close to 9 to 1,but less,and open headers.Not even close to being as loud as the big motor with muffs. :003:

Well, at the moment it seems it's running on only 6 cylinders. Installed new plug wires and plugs. All the plug wires are firing, so not a coil pack problem... Hmmm.

Bob

wildhog

KIND OF OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT WHAT KIND OF HORSE POWER WILL THE 4.6 MAKE ? THE WAY YOU GUYS ARE GOING, BASE STOCK MOTORS? TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: wildhog on 2010-08-03 19:22
KIND OF OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT WHAT KIND OF HORSE POWER WILL THE 4.6 MAKE ? THE WAY YOU GUYS ARE GOING, BASE STOCK MOTORS? TOM
with a good set of dual exhaust,the mark 4.6 will make about 300 net horse power.that is about 400 gross horse power,if you rate the horse power the way the factory did in the 50's and 60's

canadian_ranchero

i am putting some colt reground cams in my 4.6,good dual exhaust,cold air k/n air filter.hoping for maybe 20 more net horse power.around 320 net HP 

rclaborne

Quote from: canadian_ranchero on 2010-08-04 15:31
with a good set of dual exhaust,the mark 4.6 will make about 300 net horse power.that is about 400 gross horse power,if you rate the horse power the way the factory did in the 50's and 60's

I'm basically going with the stock LSC unit which is advertized at 305 HP. WAY more useful horsepower than my hi compression 428.

rclaborne

OK, so here is a link to a pic that shows what happens when you cross two coil pack sensor wires, run a rough running motor for 30 minutes, then try to start it the next morning...

http://tinyurl.com/2dwl5yx

Discovered my wiring snafu and now this baby's purring like a kitten (with another new left side muffler).

Now all we need to do is...

1. Fully mount the clip
2. build a battery box
3. mount all the AC stuff
4. Have the left muffler welded on
5. front end alignment
6. back on the road

Maybe one more week.

It's been a really crazy, crazy project. We have been working 8 hours 7 days a week for 4 weeks. Two guys with all the trick shop tools you could ever want. So if you're contemplating this kind of project, loose the idea that you can get it done easily, quickly or cheaply.

Here's the latest pics...
http://tinyurl.com/24bnfp2

Frankenstein57

Nice work , awesome job. Thanks for the pics.   Mark

rclaborne

Well folks we finally ran the car on the road yesterday. Quite amazing, really. It's having its one muffler rewelded and an alignment on Monday then a bit of time to hook up the AC.

The project is not solidly on the downhill slope. I may not be contributing much more to this forum in the near future. Now would be a good time to ask questions.

Bob

RICH MUISE

Hope everything with you is ok in so. cal. I've sure appreciated the thorough input you've provided. several questions: Other than the assumed wrong connector problem you hinted at with the detail zone kit...how hard was it to install,  and what was your experience level with similar instals? I know it had to have been incredibly tedious, but is it as easy to follow as the manufacturer suggests?
What was your initial impression of the overall swap with your first drive? and same question with regards to performance with whatever rear end ratio you're running (which is?) and one other question if you don't mind sharing the info..what did the shop that guided you thru the install charge...I think if I remember correctly you once remarked you were helping him with the swap...for his end of it.? Thanks again...Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe