News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

window and back light removal with rock hard seals

Started by terry_208, 2017-02-27 20:24

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I'm trying to remove the windshield and the back window or back light.  The rubber seals are dry and rock hard.  I attempted to cut the seal but quit because I was afraid I'd slip and break the glass.  I know the stainless that is retained the rubber usually comes out with the seal and the glass.  I can't seem to get the stainless above the back light to come out of the corner pieces.   How have others solved these problems? 
Terry

Wirenut

You might be able to trim the inside top and sides with a razor knife and push it out as a complete unit.

RICH MUISE

Yes...that's pretty much what we've all had to do....trim the inside lip of the rubber and gently as posible work it out. Kinda hard to do with your fingers crossed.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Thanks.  I'll get on it in the morning.  I was trying to cut above the glass from the outside, just backwards. 
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
     That's good advice from Wirenut and Rich.  Use a razor knife on the inside and be very gentle when pushing it out.
It will be the same on the front too. Jay

djfordmanjack

Do not attempt to pry the ss trim out of the old rubber while still in car. you would bend the ss.

Limey57

Apply even pressure on the glass rather than starting in one corner, I always have someone to help me and we apply even pressure along the top of the glass.  I always wear gloves & long sleeves (just in case.....) and I have someone outside to catch the glass just in case it comes out easier/quicker than anticipated!!!!!
Gary

1957 Ranchero

terry_208

I remember that once loose/nearly loose, slow and easy is the only way to proceed.  I am almost to the point that I'm going to have to recruit some help with the glass.  I've trimmed both seals, front and back, across the top and down the sides.  Now I need to loosen the seal's grip on the glass and lift it out.  Like the wife says, I need lots of help. 
Terry

RICH MUISE

No need to try to loosen the seals grip on the glass until it's out...it goes in and comes out as an assembly (stainless included). If it's fighting you that much, my guess is maybe in the past the glass was replaced and whoever did it used an adhesive type sealer rather than a straight sealant. Not sure what to suggest if that is the case, but I'd keep working at it from the inside. You did remove the screws that were under the "snaped-on" corner pieces, correct??

terry_208

NO. Thank you for saving the glass.  Does the back light have screws as well? 
Terry

terry_208

I finally got the glass out of the car.  but still need to remove the back light stainless from the car.  I was unable to remove the screws from the corners of the window.  I did remove all the rubber and then was able to remove the glass from it's perch without taking out the stainless out.  I'll have to spend more time with that tomorrow.

Again, thanks to everyone for the advice!

Terry
Terry

RICH MUISE

If I remember, it does, and it's under the corner pieces. Gently pry those corner pieces off from the edges, and you should see the screws. If you can't get them out, remove the head from the screws, maybe drilling with something like a centerdrill that will have a short pilot then it'll start countersinking the head, when you have removed enough of the head's material, if it hasn't poped off, a sharp wood chisel and hammer should get it off easily. You can remove the screw's shank later.

RICH MUISE

Pick up a shop manual when you can....it shows all the stuff I talked about. They are being reproduced. Most of the distributors should have them.

terry_208

I try removing the ss from the back light in the morning.  I believe I can get the corners off without much trouble.  Yes I do need to get a shop manual. 

Thanks,

Terry
Terry

terry_208

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-02-28 22:09
I'll try removing the ss from the back light in the morning.  I believe I can get the corners off without much trouble.  Yes I do need to get a shop manual. 

Thanks,

Terry

I'm sorry for the quote.  I meant to edit.

I removed the backlight stainless this morning.  I had to catch the inside edge of the corner pieces and very gently pull them over the main pieces of stainless.  Once that was done I was able to get at the two screws on each corner.  I had to use the vice grips on one screw as it was severely rusted.  That was no problem just an inconvenience.  Again thanks to all for the help.

Terry   
Terry