News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Harmonic balancer repair.

Started by jumping jack flash, 2017-03-01 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

jumping jack flash

Anybody know of a shop that can rebuild a balancer?Ever had one rebuilt? With the 57 now being 60 years old , there are more bad ones than good ones. I bought a 272 last Saturday, and was glad to see the 3 pulley grooves. The pulleys and the balancer are integrated as one unit,and not in stock at most places I have tried.The rubber vibration dampener has slipped, and the timing ring has separated from hub. It just needs new rubber parts and put back together. There are shops that do this but only one is listed on my internet.

Ray

Sounds like a factory air Harmonic Balancer. Jim Weatherly in Fullerton CA has done them as well as one or two guys back east. probably worth the cost to rebuild just based on the original application.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

jumping jack flash

Yep,that's right Ray. The engine came out of a 57 4 dr custom  that had factory air and power steering. I'm an old guy now so air and power are on my list of must haves.

Contibob

Damper Doctor and Damper Dudes are two vendors that rebuild Harmonic Balancers. I believe they are in No. Cal or Oregon don't remeber.

hiball3985

I bit the bullet and bought a new one when I built my engine, about $200. I decided to go with the new one because I liked the timing graduation marks that went up to 45 degrees. They are single sheave and accept bolt on pulleys. There is also a 2 sheave one for T Birds. Australian made and super quality.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Oldmics

hyball

Please tell us where new dampers are availiable from.Been in the Y Block game for awhile now and had never heard of new dampers being availiable.

Thanks for the info,Oldmics

hiball3985

Quote from: Oldmics on 2017-03-02 17:48
hyball

Please tell us where new dampers are availiable from.Been in the Y Block game for awhile now and had never heard of new dampers being availiable.

Thanks for the info,Oldmics
I got mine on Ebay, from Falcon Global. I just checked their listing and they no longer show it. :005:

Mummert has them too  http://www.ford-y-block.com/damper-steel.htm

Just saw these repo, don't know how good they are?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Y-Block-Harmonic-Balancer-Aftermarket-Reproduction-Ford-272-292-312-/142288965905?hash=item2121155111:g:-PIAAOSw~AVYrhHV&vxp=mtr
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ray

Jumpin jack flash. All the "selectaire" parts are around, the problem is going to be the carbon seal on the front of the compressor shaft. Classic air used the last one they had about a year ago. I have the one in the green car and it's good. I have a source for the coral car but they are going to get more difficult as time passes.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

jumping jack flash

Ray, I'll be using a more modern compresssor anyway. The Sandin  is very reliable , very little vibration and compact. Not original, but a lot more won't be on this build either. Like the power steering from a 94 Isuzu Rodeo.63 Fairlane sports coupe tail lights...... 77 LTD 2 disc brakes.it really is a long list.