News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hans outs

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-04-18 21:01

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

I was watching the news again this evening and it showed all the cars and people lined up to get a food hand out from the food bank. I know things are tough parents out of work the whole thing. There children are hungry and need to be feed.  Most of us on this forum are my age, a little  younger some older. Our parents went though this in the late 20's and 30's it was tough then too.  What have we done, why didn't we listen to our parent and grand parents, they said this would no doubt happen again and now it has.  I was raised in western centeral SD, and my wife in western ND. both our parents taught us to keep a full pantry just for time like this. A lesson I'v never forgot.  I think it's kind of crazy that we have 2 cars, pick-ups boats, 4 wheelers and the like but no food stocks layed in.  We have become a people that has to go the grocery store once a day as no one knows how to bake, can, cut up meat, or plan ahead.  It's not the children's fault, but when they get real hungry their parents may do some real crazy things to get them food.  This could become real nasty.  Take care, and stay safe, Alvin

mustang6984

True enough. My grandfather taught me the same thing, and my wife was raised in OK where the depression hit hard. Her grandparents on her mom's side were farmers who survived the dust bowl days along with the depression. We still keep at least a month's worth of food in the pantry at all times. And there was a time early in our marriage when fish I caught on Wednesday and Saturday was food on the table those nights.
People today don't seem to understand the sensibility of being prepared in advance. Our home in Port Angeles is 100 miles from Tacoma/Seattle area, 120 from Olympia. Port Angeles is the largest (20,000) city in three counties...and we are at the mercy of bridges. If there were a major catastrophic earthquake...we would have no road access to the rest of the state should bridges come down. Out closest supply for replenishment would be Vancouver island B.C. Canada...12 miles across the water. You would be surprised at how many people in the town have NO reserves.
This virus is a wake-up call...one can only hope that those who were not raised to think past their next meal, like we all were (those of us of a certain age anyhow) will learn from the experience. Sadly though...I kinda doubt many will.

JMHO!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

djfordmanjack

Very interesting thoughts Alvin! 
I am only 46. but have been raised with this consciousness, as my parents and uncles/aunts/relatives went through hard times, especially my grandparents with wartime problems, raising 9 kids and whatever. Nothing is ever just straight ahead in this world. Anything can always happen at any given time. Most younger people are not aware of this, because they don't show interest in history, their ancistors stories, the bible...you name it. these days, many many peole around the world are lead to believe what the advertising wants them to believe.
I appologize if this statement is too political.
At any case, to have some reserve in the pantry, a little money in the sock, and some spare gas, batteries aso in stock will not hurt at any given time.

hiball3985

Living in earthquake land we always keep an extra amount of foods on hand plus a separate quake supply including a 55 gallon drum of water. I was joking with the wife last week about we may need to break out the SPAM in those supplies  :005: I'm more concerned about the civil unrest that is starting now.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Never realized how lucky my siblings and I are for having great parents.  They were "depression" era kids.  Taught us the difference between wants and needs.  Taught us the need to have "reserve" available to get through the "hard times".

Not sure where I went wrong but all three of my kids have no reserve.  None of them were ready for the lock down.  They have jobs (Paramedic, Protocol officer at the AF Academy, contractor with the White House Communications Team) to keep the bills paid, but are struggling supplies and "stuff" they think they need.

Our generation never had "hard times" so the lessons learned were not passed down.  I'm guilty as I feel confident many of us are for falling short on this important "life's lesson".  Given the stories on the news there are a bunch of the same situations out there.  Then throw in the bunch that feel the government needs to "take care" of them and all the charities are stretched thin.

Off my soap box now......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II