News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Remanufactured Y-Block for my car

Started by ROKuberski, 2022-01-15 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Are they saying they don't have an engine readily available to rebuild? I wouldn't worry about the block they were all the same until 62-64. The 62-64 were actually stronger but had thinner cylinder walls for over boring. Any combination of years parts will work and have a decent running engine but not quite up to the 57, The key to the 57 is the heads, cam and rocker arms. When those gt changed performance will be less.

This is the first engine I built for mine out of a mixture of different parts. It ran fine but not quite like the 57 engine which I eventually rebuilt and put back in.
This is a 55 block, 61 crank and rods, 60 cylinder heads. but I wouldn't hesitate using it again if needed.

JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

What they said is "The block guy was out yesterday and they will see what they have today."

I could ship them my engine, but the car will be out of service less if I wait for theirs.  I need to think about this option.

Rich

lalessi1

I would be inclined to send them mine as long as I knew I would be getting the same parts back.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2022-01-18 10:33
I would be inclined to send them mine as long as I knew I would be getting the same parts back.
X2 what Lynn said.
Just my thoughts about these large engine rebuilders who do mostly new model engines and do they have people who know Yblocks?
Having yours done locally at least you can keep an eye on things to be sure you get out what you sent in. I know it may be more expensive but sometimes the cheaper and easy doesn't always work out so well.. I'll get of my soap box LOL
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

I doubt that any builder does many Y-Block these days.  Two of the companies I spoke to admitted to never having done one and one guy had done several, but not lately, not for years.

I've considered several options, including doing nothing.  It runs okay, I just have to keep putting oil in it and cleaning the drip pan in the garage.  I am favorably impressed with the video I saw on their final testing of the engine.  I also watched a couple of other videos they have.  I am comfortable with my selection.  After my transmission journey, I am philosophical about these things.  Briefly stated "**** Happens."  It's just better when it happens to someone else. I'm a pretty good shade tree mechanic and I will be able to see and check the things that they did before I close up everything.  I can't try to start it before installing it since I have the EFI system and some of that would be a PITA to remove from the car just to do a test run. 

I really do appreciate all of the comments I get on this site.  I always learn something.

Rich

hiball3985

Thats one of the problems, there aren't a lot of us old guys who know how to build them left anymore. The last engine I built for my 57 will probably my last, I'm just getting to old to take these things on anymore.
Good luck with what ever way you go.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

Jim,  Old is relative.  Me?  Last birthday I hit 75.  40 years ago I would said that is ancient.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I work hard at keeping in shape and I still have all the original body parts.  I tell people that I plan to live to  100, but we shall see. 

I'll post a video on the project.  I just painted my new water pump, but I doubt that anyone wants to see that.  By the way, I got the pump for $41 at Rockauto +shipping.  (Said it was the last one, but they had another one available.)  I always check them first.  It was $130 at Jerry's Classic Cars & Parts.

hiball3985

Rob, I'll be 75 in March, but my health isn't the best. I've pulled,rebuilt,installed so many engines over the years I know when to quit. I could do it again if I really had to but I'd rather not.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I'm 75 also, got COPD somehow :002: At this stage we have to watch our mental health as well......which reminds me, who the heck is Rob?
Rich, I just remembered, Al in Black Forrest had a rebuilt 312 he was going to put in his until he decided on the 4.6 Mustang cobra drivetrain, haven't heard anything from him in years. I wonder if that project is still in his garage.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ROKuberski

Rich,  I've been called worse.

Is Al the guy that you and I visited a few years back?  Must be he had the front end off of his car and was working on a major modification for the engine.  I'm too lazy for that kind of stuff.  My mods are bolt on's.  I'm fine with my choice to go with a rebuilt 292.  A 312 would trash my 2V EFI unit.  I want a simple, reliable, no leak, no smoke engine.  And I want it back on the road in a reasonable amount of time.  I hope to only have the car out of service for 3 - 4 weeks.

I don't think I've ever seen a series of pictures on your car.  Have you posted them somewhere?

Rich 

hiball3985

OOPs, sorry Rich another brain fart, I seem to be having more of those lately  :005:
Why would a 312 trash your EFI?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yes, that's the guy. Al wasn't spending much time in Colorado after his wife died, and he totally lost interest in his car hobby. I suspect he's sold his Black Forest home and moved on. I'll do a little searching for a phone number and see what I can find out.
Pics.......? Probably the best location would be one of my old build threads. I'll look, but I don't think I ever put one together for the "member's rides". We haven't done a very good job here of having a good picture section for member's rides.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

oldave57

Hello Rich,

I don't mean to hijack this thread for another subject, but I was watching your video on modifications to your car (great job on the videos BTW) and I am interested in doing the Wilwood disk brake mod on my 57.  It looks like you were able to keep your original spindles with the Wilwood installation and the 67 Galaxie master cylinder bolted up with nice clearance for the exhaust manifold.  Were you able to keep the original 14" wheels or did you have to go with a different wheel to get clearance with the calipers? 

Good luck on your engine rebuild decision.  On my previous 57 Fairlane (with 292) I had the engine rebuilt at a local shop that did a lot of engine work for a local dirt track.  My engine was in their shop for over 6 months because it kept getting pushed back for priority customers.  That shop is no longer in business (this was over 10 years ago) but it was frustrating to keep calling while waiting for the engine.  The shop in Seattle looks very professional and the running pressure check they do is outstanding.

Thanks,
Dave

ROKuberski

Dave,

The Wilwood Disk brake kit is super.  It was a snap to install and yes, kept the original spindles.  No on the stock wheels.  I did mount one and tried to spin it but the rivets hit, just barely, but they are a no go.  I used 14" wheels from a late '70's Ford car that used 14" wheels.  I wanted to keep the stock wheel covers and I think that's the only way you can do this.  I think by the late 70's all the cars had disk front brakes.

Now, I was disappointed in my braking without power brakes.  I tried a 7" boost unit, but that does not work well at 5,600' where I live.  When I installed the power steering I now had a source of hydraulic power for the hydroboost unit.  That combination makes the car stop like a car made yesterday.  Zero problems stopping.  The hydroboost unit also makes it hard to access plugs 7 & 8, I have to remove them from under the car.

Good luck,

Rich

oldave57

Rich,

Thanks for the quick response.   I thought that the original 14" wheels would not have clearance based on other brake related forum threads, but was hopeful.  When spring finally arrives, I will check around for appropriate wheels before making a decision to move forward with the disk brake upgrade.

Good luck with your engine. 
Dave