News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

interior mirror

Started by alltin33, 2019-02-05 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

alltin33

WTB interior mirror.   Mirror glass not  important need the body  ( like photo)

rovohn

I have the mirror assy with out the mounting bracket$20 plus shipping
John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

alltin33

John thanks for the reply I really need the mounting bracket as well also I plan to change the extra fine thread on the mounting bracket as far as I  can figure out it is 7/16 x 32   to 7/16 fine .  any ideas let me know.

thanks
                                                                              Dennis

RICH MUISE

Not sure why you want to change the thread if you're using a stock mirror........ But, I used an aftermarket mirror for a '56 Ford pickup(?) that had a smaller shaft size / threads than the original mirror, so I welded the mating hex nut inside the bracket. The new shaft just slipped on thru the original tapped hole. Welding the nut inside allows the mirror to be removed without removing the bracket. If two nuts were just used to lock it in place, you couldn't remove the mirror (or tighten up if it loosened)  without removing the top windshield garnish rails and mirror bracket. Not sure if that's what you were asking, lol
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

alltin33

Rich thanks for the tip. I had in mind to make an adapter out of 7/16  bolt fine thread turn it down and the shaft thread on the mirror is metric and re tap the bracket to 7/16 x20  and turn the other end to 6x1.25 metric  to fit the mirror that way you can remove the mirror.  Leave the  threads on bolt modify  the other end would be metric for mirror shaft. 

RICH MUISE

"the shaft thread on the mirror is metric"?, the oem mirrors, or anything else on our '57s are no way metric. Maybe I'm confused because of you looking for an inside mirror.........maybe it's just the bracket you are looking for to adapt annother mirror to (like I did)????

Tom S

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2019-02-07 19:47
.... Maybe I'm confused .....
You ain't the only one! I don't get it. I think he wants to re-thread part of the shaft to metric but I don't see how that would help anything.
When I picked up my Ranchero at the docks here last summer the inside mirror was very loose & just wanted to pivot around & not stay in place.  Made me a little nervous on the drive home & became the first of many things to fix.

alltin33

Let me explain; the mirror I want to install is after market all stainless . In my 57 is the original mirror which is painted I don't want a painted so I would like to make the after mirror work it is tapped for metric thread and the OEM  mirror is  SAE  IS 7/16  X 32 threaded  bracket When I ordered the new mirror it is not the correct one and is tapped for metric. The after market parts are not correct a lot of times and so I'll make some changes to make it work as usual not big deal just have to figure it. I need OEM  bracket to on top to make the change.

alltin33

RICH MUISE

I'm laughing my butt off because last year there was a thread on the Hamb about all of us old timers struggling with the normal old age problems......forgetting things like why you went down to the basement, where you left a tool, what you did to your car in areas, etc. I'm always losing my train of thought, so my reply on that thread was just:..........I

OK, back to the mirror you have, and apparently also have the bracket since you said the mirror in your car was painted. The paint, btw, I believe is standard. Mine was a silvery grey paint. Anyway, as I said in the previous post, you can just weld a nut that matches the threads on the mirror on the inside of the bracket. It won't be seen. Use a second nut on the mirror's stem (that will be seen) to tighten. My stem was smaller than the oem, so it just passed through the bracket to the new inside nut. If needed.
You are saying the new mirror is "tapped" metric. That term would mean an internal thread.........a tapped hole. I'm assuming your mirror's stem is threaded on the outside..??

a link to pics of mine
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5795.45        page4, posts starting at #56

Ford Blue blood

I'm using a 58 Bird (re-pop) with a nut welded to the bracket.  That mirror is a day/night mirror and is chromed.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

alltin33

Rich, you are right the aftermarket mirror stem is tapped for metric and when you order a mirror for Fairlane 500 2dr ht from a vendor they send you a mirror that is not correct .Most vendors don't have clue they just sell parts  When you ask for a part or parts yes we have in stock . so that's why I joined 57s forever many years ago in the beginning then dropped out went back to building street rods.   I just might make adapter or as you did remove the mounting bracket and modify it easy to do . Just bought the 57 and sold my 33 ford Gennie and just trying to make the 57 a  nice driver.