News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

question about mounting body on rotisserie

Started by terry_208, 2017-05-28 22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I am about ready to put the bare body on a rotisserie.  My question is quite simple.  Is the rear body brace strong enough to support the body without being crushed?  The brace I'm questioning is the one at the very rear of the trunk, just ahead of the tailpan.  It is U shaped and the bottom of it does not sit tight against trunk floor where the bolt passes through it. 

Thanks in advance. 
Terry

gasman826

It depends on the rust damage.  The OEM exhaust ended in that area and may be a damaged area.  I hung mine from that channel with no issues...just the stripped body with no doors or glass.  If I was doing it again, I might consider making my brackets extend forward to catch the next body mount so there would be two bolts on each side.  The second bolt would reduce shifting when the body is cranked up on its side.  On the front, I bolted directly through the firewall and later used the front body mounts after toe board  replacement.  It is also important to locate the balance center-line.  You'll know when you try to rotate so the floor is UP.  A lot of work but well worth the effort.  Welding upside down sucks!  I should have taken a picture with the roof down.  I also use the rotisserie to finish frames and rear end housings.

terry_208

Great pictures.  I was thinking about mounting to both of the rear mounting holes on each side also.  I had not thought about mounting directly to the firewall.  Did you use existing holes or make new ones?  Could you give me an estimate of the balance point, above floor level? 
Terry

gasman826

In the pictures, it is a little bottom heavy.  I have no measurements.  I guessed.  My homemade rotisserie is not as adjustable as manufactured ones.  Caution, that's a big piece of metal and when it goes over center, best be hanging on real tight.  Mine has a wench gearbox on it to give me lots of leverage.  Most manufactured ones have no mechanical advantage.  Firewall holes were drilled as needed and welded in later.  The only down sides of rotisserie use is restricted access to the front and rear and storage when not in use.  One big plus of my rotisserie is the mobiity...rolls around great even outside for wash down or just getting it out of the way.

terry_208

I was thinking about drilling the firewall and also need to install toe boards.  I built my own rotisserie but w/o mechanical assist to rotate.  I decided to connect the rear two body mount points on each side.  I'm using to 2"X2" for this.  Thanks for the information!
Terry