News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Rag top

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2018-11-26 09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i'm confused,   i own a 57 conv,  in fact the one listed on this post u could say was mt cars twin,     how come so cheap?,  if i were selling mine i would be asking a lot more,   so,  whats going on?     jerry

Ford Blue blood

Given Randy Conner has a supply of 57s and E-code stuff that would boggle the mind I'm guessing it is priced according to the condition of all the "known" problem areas on these cars.  He does know 57 Fords and values, listed in our "supplier" thread.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hemidave

It seems like a great price for a driver that someone could enjoy.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

ragtop

as we all get older not as many guys want a old car to drive so they just don't sell just look at model a 10 years ago a nice one was 20+and now can't get 8 even 57 chevys have lost some value you can get a convert. for 40 to 50 if you look around  instead of the 100+ before I know of 10 or more 57 convertibles  for sale now from real nice to projects  and not selling

Ford Blue blood

The "greying" problem is impacting car prices.  As we get older and want to thin the herd a bunch of us are doing the same thing.  The "Pro-Touring" thing is hot right now.  (Remember "Pro-Street"?)  Looking at the various auctions they are bringing more money then really nice, perfectly restored models of the same car.  Street rods are down across the board, $50K will buy a really nice all steel street rod with provenance.

For the most of us this car thing is a hobby.  I figure if I break even with the sale of a car I have won.  Compared to chasing little white balls around the pasture or pouring money into a hole in the water this is fun!  Keeps the mind sharp figuring out little issues, gives a sense of accomplishment turning one mans junk into your treasure, and you have something to look at while pondering your belly button.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hemidave

No bids on the car   auction ended.
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

brushwolf

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2018-11-30 08:18
The "greying" problem is impacting car prices.  As we get older and want to thin the herd a bunch of us are doing the same thing.  The "Pro-Touring" thing is hot right now.  (Remember "Pro-Street"?)  Looking at the various auctions they are bringing more money then really nice, perfectly restored models of the same car.  Street rods are down across the board, $50K will buy a really nice all steel street rod with provenance.

For the most of us this car thing is a hobby.  I figure if I break even with the sale of a car I have won.  Compared to chasing little white balls around the pasture or pouring money into a hole in the water this is fun!  Keeps the mind sharp figuring out little issues, gives a sense of accomplishment turning one mans junk into your treasure, and you have something to look at while pondering your belly button.......

Couldn't agree more. Have had this conversation with my brother (hunting nut) many times.  I say I don't golf, hunt, fish, seldom take vacations and don't gamble. So, money I spend on cars and parts is my entertainment and tell me what money you get back from the hunting expenses compared to what you spend in time and money on it.

Used similar arguments with zoning people re: "unregistered vehicles" on my property and out of public view not all being inside buildings.  Refused to remove them and told them if county would like to spend a few thousand in attorney fees fighting in court with me, I was fine with spending money to do the same.  They dropped it and have ignored me for the past 20+ years, but I suppose they could eventually show up again..

Not really surprised the 57 convertible didn't sell, as I have followed other EBay sales and vintage car dealer sales.  I've seen some really nice cars that keep dropping in price.  The younger folks mostly can't afford them, or don't have the interest or attachment to them that we old-timers do.

They reminisce about their first smart phone, instead of their first car. If you are planning on selling, expect values to drop further as time goes by... 
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

hiball3985

I don't car what happens to car values in the future as I have never worried about the $$$ value of any of the cars I have owned.. My value only comes from the pleasure of having, working on and driving one..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

They get into this discussion almost weekly on the Hamb.........prices dropping, cars not selling, etc. One interesting side of the discussion is that falling prices will be good long term for our hobby. As mentioned above, it's been hard generating interest from the younger crowd once they find out what it costs nowadays to build a car, and falling prices may mean they can possibly have a shot at what they want, whereas before it was financially not even a consideration. Some of the lifelong hotrodders  have said they've been thru this cycle in the past. It's definetly a buyer's market now, but go to a Goodguys show and you won't get the hobby-is-dying feeling at all......guaranteed!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-12-03 07:56
I don't car what happens to car values in the future as I have never worried about the $$$ value of any of the cars I have owned.. My value only comes from the pleasure of having, working on and driving one..

Could agree more Jim.
The days of selling your car for mega bucks are over.. unless you own some super rare historically important car.My daughters male friends come by the house and none of them have any interest in this hobby.
I could care less about the money I put into my cars....I enjoy them.
Young people just can't afford the costs.. an average paint job with materials is now 10k and over.... A crappy Model A body is now close to 7-12K..... Parts are so very expensive today.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2018-12-04 07:40

Could agree more Jim.
The days of selling your car for mega bucks are over.. unless you own some super rare historically important car.My daughters male friends come by the house and none of them have any interest in this hobby.
I could care less about the money I put into my cars....I enjoy them.
Young people just can't afford the costs.. an average paint job with materials is now 10k and over.... A crappy Model A body is now close to 7-12K..... Parts are so very expensive today.
I totally agree. The cost of building is getting outrageous even for people like me who is on a shoe string budget and has to do everything myself. I don't think this newer generation who wants everything now has the patients to search out parts and do things themselves. If they have to pay a shop to do it the costs will discourage them. Even for me I painted my 60 panel truck in 75 when I built it, then again in 95 and it needs it again, not going to happen.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

That serial number looks like a salvage title.
302 engine, no pics?

Ron.