News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

scarebird adapters

Started by jseth83, 2014-12-26 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2015-01-05 14:11
Those dimensions are close to the setup on my car, a little bigger overall diameter and the discs are around .3" deeper into the wheel with the Wilwood rotors. Bummer. I can't think of a solution that doesn't require a wheel change of some kind.

Neither can I.  I asked Summit Racing if they have a drawing showing their wheel so I can verify clearances.

I'm wondering if my stock wheels and front brake drums/hardware have much value.  That would offset the project cost a little.

Rich

RICH MUISE

Not to change the subject, Rich, but I'm sending you a pm
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2015-01-05 15:21
Neither can I.  I asked Summit Racing if they have a drawing showing their wheel so I can verify clearances.

I'm wondering if my stock wheels and front brake drums/hardware have much value.  That would offset the project cost a little.

Rich

I had a thought..... other Fords had 14 wheel and disc brakes. I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-79-Ford-LTD-Mercury-Marquis-5-x-4-1-2-Steel-Wheel-Rim-14-OEM-USED-1150-JS-/111325680061?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item19eb8711bd&vxp=mtr

May be more options than Granada wheels around.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

I am wondering the same thing.  I saw some Ford Ranger PU 14" wheels.  There must be a place to get dimensional information on these wheels, but I haven't found it.

Summit Racing, and others, make those butt ugly white spoke wheels in 14".  They are cheaper and ought to work too.  The wheel cover will cover them up.  Either way, it appears that from about $50 each for the white spoke wheels to the OEM style wheels at about $75 is the going rate.  I'm thinking that new wheels appeal more than buying old wheels that may not be all that straight.

Rich

RICH MUISE

I think Lincoln Versailles was in the same grouping as the Granada and Monarch. I had an oem wheel size chart somewhere in the archives, I'll see if I can find it....may be posted in the tech info section.
I found one, but I think I had a better one so I'll keep looking
http://www.vehicle-bolt-pattern.com/ford-lug-reference-guide.html
It's given in mm whether or not they actually were.... Go figure(pun intended)

OH YEAH!!
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheel_bolt_pattern
And up top it has a inch-mm conversion chart so you won't have to go figure.
I'm gonna add it to the tech links...scratch that, they were both there already.

ROKuberski

Rich,

Good information.  I did notice that the two charts do not agree 100%.

The way I read it, the Granada wheels are 1/2" too narrow.  The information missing is a dimensioned section through the wheel to verify if it will go over brake hardware.

The wheels below ought to fit, if the center hole and setback is correct.  I don't know what that last column is with the "L, H or L/M" means.  I think those are all front disk brake cars.  Besides these Ford products, there may be a bunch of wheels from other brands that fit too.

FULL SIZE (GALAXIE,CUSTOM,ETC.)   57-64   14 X 6   5X114.3   12mmX1.5   -   L

MAVERICK,MUSTANG,ETC.)                   64-73   14 X 6   5X114.3   1/2-RH   -   L
PROBE                                           88-92   14 X 6    5X114.3   12mmX1.5   59.6   H
RANGER 2WD                                   81-on   14 X 6   5X114.3   1/2-RH   -   L/M
1/2 TON E-100,150 VAN                   68-84   14 X 6   5X114.3   1/2-RH   -   L

RICH MUISE

the L, H, L/H refers to the offset (what we normally refer to as backspace?)...there's a description below the chart....important info given our rear wheel well clearance issues.

lalessi1

Mopar wheels have the same bolt pattern and they have a totally different center section design. If I remember right they had bigger brakes to start with. I found a set of used ones surfing the net last night. No price but anyway there there's hope.

http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/inventory.php?cat=5
Lynn

ROKuberski

I've been wondering where the information came from that the Granada wheels were the preferred wheels for this change over.  That wheel is 1/2" narrower than the stock wheel. 

If the 68 - 69 Mustang rotor fits on the stock spindle, then it would seem to me that the wheel from that car ought to be the wheel of choice.  It is the same width and same bolt pattern as the stock wheel.  However, I don't know if the backset is the same. 

The Mustang is a smaller car and from what I just found, with a 302 V8, it weighed about 3,210 pounds.  With a full tank of gas, my Fairlane weighs 3,800 pounds (yes, I had it weighed.)  That's 18.75% more than the Mustang.  The '69 Mustang rotor is 11.3", another full size car, the '69 Galaxie is 11.73" and weighs about 4,100 pounds.  I don't know what the area is that the brake pad sweeps, but if you only look at the outer 2" of each rotor, there is only about a 4.2% difference in area.   Probably does not make much difference.

I'm getting a little anal here, but I don't want to find that things don't work well when the project is complete.

Rich

hiball3985

The thinking on Granada wheels when using Granada brakes is the center hole to fit the Granada hub. If you think about it a 1/2" difference in width is only a 1/4" on each side. The two cars that I have seen I didn't notice the 1/4" difference as being noticeable.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

My Torino rotors are actually less then 11" they are closer to 10 3/4". Backspacing and offset are two different measurements but one determines the other for a given wheel width. Backspacing is the distance from the inside edge of the wheel to the mounting suface. Offset is the distance from the wheel centerline to the mounting surface. A 7" wheel is 8" wide, a backspace of 4" means the wheel has zero offset. 4.25" backspace means the wheel has .25" negative offset. 3.75" backspace means .25" positive offset. Positive offset will increase the track width, negative decreases it. Part of the issue with stock wheels besides the center hole diameter is having the proper offset that puts the rotor inside the rim at the right place. As an extreme example any diameter wheel with zero backspace would fit any brake setup Ideally you would like to keep the same offset as the oem wheel to keep overall suspension geometry from changing when changing wheels.
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

Are you using the stock spindle with the Torino rotors?  What year are you talking about?  I looked and for 1969, the Torino rotor is 11.3", just like the Mustang.

I'm still investigating wheels.  Thanks for the information.

Rich

lalessi1

Rich,

I bought rotors for a 1974 Gran Torino. I looked for a while trying to match what was on the car when I bought it. These spindles to the best of my knowledge do not lower the '57. I realized IF those Torinos had 14" wheels they would obviously work.

Lynn
Lynn

ROKuberski

Lynn,

If I've got to buy wheels, I will stick with the stock spindle and then what ever wheel best fits it, such as the Granada/Mustang/or new manufactured wheel.  I looked at the specs for the '74 Gran Torino and it is a 10.8" rotor.  But, as I'm sure you know, that rotor won't fit the stock spindle.

I'm having problems get dimensional information from suppliers.  I may have to get a rotor and caliper and make a scale drawing that I can send to the wheel suppliers so they can confirm it will fit.  Before I do that, I will go over to a tire store that sells aftermarket wheels and see if their catalog has dimensional information.  There's a Big O tire store near me where I know one of the guys.

Rich

Rich

lalessi1

If you buy a single wheel from Summit and it doesn't fit they will take it back as long as you don't marr it any way. The return shipping costs are also paid by them. They make it easy, there is a form you fill out in the box. I only returned a set of 2" gauges and bought 2 5/8" instead but a return is a return. I would confirm that with them to make sure though.....
Lynn