News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351 engine swap

Started by rlibew, 2012-04-23 16:37

Previous topic - Next topic

rlibew

Hi I'm new at this 57 hot rod Hobie, but very interested in completing my 1957 ford fairlane 500 hard top. My plan is a 351 w engine a AOD trans 4 wheel discs brakes AC and getting as much tire under the rear as I can.

I see a lot of adds for 302 and 302 strokers, but I want a 351 w engine as I don't want a another 302 in my engine bay. The problem is finding a crate engine for my project. Time and time again I'm given friendly advise to go with the 347 strocker or a 460 engine. Have any of you guys had success with this swap and do you have a recommendation on a builder.

I also need info on AOD trans as I hear these transmission can be problematic if not set up correctly. Any advise on this install would be greatly appreciated as I'm new at this and I limited on sources for the project

I also need info on how to get 275-15 under the rear wheel wells, I've considering narrowing the rear axle or mini tub, but don't want to get radical on this, but do want some tire tread under this car. I have 3.50 gears and posi so the AOD should work well with my plan combo, think.

please any info at a will be appreciated. 

gasman826

Welcome.  Probably the first thing to do is hit the HOME button, move over to the SEARCH box and type in 351W and the GO button.  Read all those hits and you will have a bunch of questions about 351W answered.
Then hit the HOME button again, move to the SEARCH box and type in AOD then the GO button.  You'll see plenty of feedback on transmission recommendations.
This will give you a great starter course.

RICH MUISE

Welcome from me too. All of the engines you mentioned, and the AOD, have had a great deal posted about them, as gasman said a little browsing and you'll find lots to read. The 351 will probably be my choice if I give up, or postpone, on my plans for a 4.6 DOHC.
You mentioned AC...lots of input there also, but pick up June and July issues of Rod and Custom...a really good article with lots of pics on installing a Vintage Air Generation IV (my choice) unit in a '57 Ford (Ranchero, but for this purpose, doesn't matter).
What part of the world are you from?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rlibew

I'm from southern California USA where are you located

robhaerr

I'm in SoCal...Inland Empire...doing the Project 302 thread...Welcome!

Rob

rlibew

very nice wagon, I plan to have my 500 looking that good with in this next year. Right now I'm into patch panel work, but i'm committed to biulding a very nice 57 fairlane 500. do you have any advice on rear tire clearance?

robhaerr

Rear tires have been tough for me, too.

I have 215/60-15 on all 4 corners...rears rub the fender lip going up a driveway. Others will have to chime-in.

I may go back to 205/60-15 or try 70-series on the back. Search the Wheel and Tire Sizes section for info. Wheel back-spacing or a narrowed axle and tubbing if your want to go that route.

Rob

57AGIN

rlibew:

If you trim the inner lip on the rear wheel fenderwell and use a rim with a back space of 4.5 - 5 inches you can fit a BF Goodrich P255 x 60 x R15 on the rear and still have about 1" clearance all around.  I've been running that tire on my Custom 300 for about 8 years on a set of Cragar mags.  It look great and fills the wheelwell.

You can see the car at the Seal Beach Car Show on Saturday, April 28, 2012.  Rick and I will be parked down by the pier on Main Street in front of the Coldstone Creamery.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

My last Custom had 295 50 15, the rear housing was narrowed 1.5 each side.  I used 15x8 ProStars with 3.5 backspace.  The fender lips were trimmed and re-rolled.  Finally, the tubs were widened 3.5 inches per side, and the leafs were moved inside the frame rails.  Lots of clearance.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rlibew

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2012-04-24 21:21
My last Custom had 295 50 15, the rear housing was narrowed 1.5 each side.  I used 15x8 ProStars with 3.5 backspace.  The fender lips were trimmed and re-rolled.  Finally, the tubs were widened 3.5 inches per side, and the leafs were moved inside the frame rails.  Lots of clearance.

tell me about relocation of the rear springs as this is what I'm involve in at this point, would give me an additional 2 1/2'' wheel opening.
I would like to run 275 60 15 tires on 8" to 9" wheels with 5 to 5 1/2" back spacing

rlibew

tell me how you relocated rear springs, i'm looking at this myself and it looks like I will have to have fabricated mounts for the rear of the leaf and pocket front  mounts into the frame. Can you offer any advise on how you did this. I want to run 275 60 15's on 8 to 9" wheels with 4 1/2 to 5 back spacing. I'm not a fabricator, so this will be done by Schrader speed and style.

JPotter57

Lots of work.  I cut the frame rails at the centerline of the axle, then pie cut it to straighten the stub so it would run straight to the rear of the car.  I then used sections of 2X3 rectangle tubing to make the rest of the frame rails to the rear, which I tied to the original section at rear with body mounts.  I had to do all that because the frame widens at the back, and the leaf springs needed to be parallel.    Once that was finished, I made forward spring mounts out of 1/4 inch channel, boxed, and welded them to the inside of the frame.  Finally, I made a rear shackle mount from a small piece of the 2X3 tubing, with a piece of round tubing for the shackle bushings to pass through.  I didnt use the Ford rear shackle arrangement at all.  It was a lot of work that I wont do again to fit that small a tire.  If I ever cut one again like that, it will be for big tires, 18X32 M/T or bigger...
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

I forgot about splitting the stock wheel tub, and putting a 4 inch band in it too.  That was a ton of welding for the entire project, could have had some big tires for the same amount of work.
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Going 4" also requires heavy modifications to the back seat springs and the trunk lid hinge supports.  If you are going this sever, might want to consider 4 link, air bags, coilovers.  With big tires comes big responsibility...bigger brakes, bigger suspension, bigger horse power, other frame mods to support bigger stuff.