News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

power steering

Started by highpockets, 2017-05-19 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

highpockets

I have a 58 Sedan Delivery. Swapped engine/trans. in it and put power steering on. 390 engine. I put a seal kit in the factory Eaton pump, bought a "guaranteed" control valve and had the cylinder rebuilt in a hydraulic shop here in town. All new lines and hoses. Absolutely NO power steering. I have tried bleeding it per instructions. Control valve place tells me it is the check valve in the pump, but I have had that out, checked it, put it back in. Still nothing at all. I know they are hard to bleed, but I've tried everything. I can idle the car with the PS top cover off, fluid circulates fine until I touch the steering wheel, and then the fluid movement totally stops. Any clues? Thanks in advance.

JimNolan

Does it make a noise at the pump like the bypass is open. That's all that adjustment does on the pump and best of my recollection you use washers to control that adjustment. Loosen the fittings going to the directional control valve and see if you even have pressure.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

highpockets

After switching check valves from another pump, still nothing. I changed the pump to an old greasy one from a Studebaker and it seems to work now. There was nothing complicated inside the original pump when I had it apart, but apparently I did something wrong or there is something else going on. But, the pump is the problem. Self inflicted PITA. I need a beer..lol.

JimNolan

Gasman, I heard once that if you put the hoses on backward it would turn the wheel so fast out of you hands that it could break your hand trying to hang on to it. I don't know that personally. I just read it somewhere.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

I don't remember that but I did reverse hoses on a rack and pinion system.  The steering wheel wouldn't move and the oil got real hot, real fast.

81TTA

Quote from: highpockets on 2017-05-19 17:43
After switching check valves from another pump, still nothing. I changed the pump to an old greasy one from a Studebaker and it seems to work now. There was nothing complicated inside the original pump when I had it apart, but apparently I did something wrong or there is something else going on. But, the pump is the problem. Self inflicted PITA. I need a beer..lol.

I had a similar problem when I installed my system in a '57.  I will admit the Eaton pump I started with was in pretty bad shape.  But, after disassembling, cleaning and re-sealing/gasket-ing everything, it just seemed to heat up the fluid rather than move anything on the steering around.  Because the Eatons seemed to be more expensive, I decided to go with a newer "pencil neck" pump from the late 60's I could get from Autozone/Oreilly's/wherever.  While I don't hope to have to worry about the pump failing any time soon, I like the idea a replacement can be as close as the nearest auto parts store.  As soon as I swapped in the new pump, like you, everything worked just fine.

QuoteGasman, I heard once that if you put the hoses on backward it would turn the wheel so fast out of you hands that it could break your hand trying to hang on to it. I don't know that personally. I just read it somewhere.

I can't speak to enough force to break your hand.  But, I can say the system can oscillate back-and-forth at a VERY high rate if you get the hoses swapped.  At least, this was the case with the front wheels off the ground while the engine was running.  Not sure how much it might have calmed down if the wheels were on the ground and had a little more friction to keep them from moving so easily.  I also had the wheels run hard to one side with swapped hoses.  I think the behavior might change depending on position of the control valve and how far off center it is when the engine starts?

From your description, it sounds like you might have this covered based on where you're getting your parts.  But, I'll mention it because I ran into it.  I purchased all the hoses for the system from an online store that had a "kit".  Everything looked nice a pretty when the hoses were first installed.  Within a year, two of the pressure hoses failed while one was showing signs of blistering.  Ended up getting some lines made up at a Napa.  I know there will be people here saying "you should have done that first".  And, that sounds good.  But they'd be surprised how difficult it was to find anyone to make up hoses in that size.  Lots of trips to shops who supposedly could make any hose for any application only to be told "sorry, can't make that one for you."  Even finally finding the Napa place who made the hoses was an effort.  It appears not all of their stores have this service any more.  Anyway, glad you got yours running!