News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Family's '57 Ford Fairlane Skyliner...$$$

Started by 1stGen, 2014-04-08 15:17

Previous topic - Next topic

1stGen

I'm not sure if anyone has seen my post on The HAMB but a guy on there mentioned this might be the best place to get some info.  I'll be getting pics and more info soon.....so here it is:

OK...I'll make this short and sweet.   

2006:
My soon to be girlfriend would take me cruising around in her grandfathers 57 Ford Fairlane Skyliner.  It ran and drove decent (she loved the three on the tree), the top didn't work (it stayed up the whole time...dammit) and the interior was considered a 5 out of 10 in my eyes (it was all there but naturally wore).  I wouldn't trust taking it out of town but good to cruise around locally. This happened on 2 or 3 occasions. 

2007: The girlfriend thing was now serious as she has moved in.  She asked her grandfather about buying the car off him and he agreed to sell it to her for $8000.  Sounds good but nothing ever comes from it as we now lived 1600 miles away and had to means to bring it back home with us. 

Fast Forward to 2014:
The girlfriend is now my wife and both of her grandparents have recently past on.  Since the family knew she liked the car (and now we live closer) her uncle (the power of attorney over the estate) has offered her first dibs on it at the same price of $8000.  Since 2006 it hasn't seen the light of day and hasn't been started.  Been sitting in a shop in the corner collecting dust with 4 flat tires.  It is painted but its rough and what looks like an excessive amount of filler on it so I'm a bit shaky on what the metal looks like after I strip it. 

My question:  Is it worth $8000?  I was in the neighborhood of $5000 BUT I dont' want to screw myself over OR her family.  I don't mind giving a fair price for it.  Just dont' know what that is.  If its $8000, then I'll pay it.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I don't have pics at this time but will be going to look at it here soon (couple weeks).  Plus I'm hoping mice haven't gotten into it and eaten up the interior and/or wiring.  Was just hoping the ford fanatics on here would chime in and ballpark something/give me some ideas...thanks

JPotter57

Depends on if there is any/a lot of rust, and where that rust is.  Retractable parts are hard to find, and expensive.    Sounds like both of you have a sentimental attachment to the car anyway, so it could be worth that to you both regardless.  Best bet would be to get the car appraised by someone who knows these cars.  Lou who is a member here, knows them well, but may not be close enough to your area to help you out.  Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

SkylinerRon

8k sounds fair, maybe she could make it part of her inheritence. Stick Skyliners are rare, does it have O.D.?  Parts are not as hard to find as you might think. There is a strong club for them and Dennis-Carpenter.com  repro's almost every rubber part on the car and hard parts too. Top may need adjustments, sometimes it is the neutral switch. Check for rust in the usual places and under the package tray.
I have had 57 Skyliners in my family since 1961 and presently own 3.  If I can help with questions let me know, be happy to see another on the road!

Goodluck,

Ron.

Lou

If you want my opinion, email me the pictures when you get them at vehicleone@hotmail.com.

Ecode70D

It would be nice to see another one brought back to life.  It's especially nice  for you and your wife to have her grandfather's 57.  You will get a lot of
support from the guys on this site.

1stGen

Thanks for the support and info guys.  Sounds like this is the place to be.  As soon as I get pics I'll post/email them. 
Thanks again

Zapato

You are in the right place which I suggested coming over. I did a Google search last night for project retracs and quickly found a 58 and a 59 both in the 3-5 thou range. Given the info you have given 8 is probably a bit high, and as Skyliner has said parts are available am quessing they will be high.

57 fords have numerous areas of common rust, there was a thread years ago covering them. Believe I started it to help me check out possible buys. Maybe its still there to be found. You mentioned questionable body work a simple pocket magnet will help find Bondo. Family history may help find some known areas of work but there may be some prior to their ownership.

I know its grandpa's car but don't let that be a set of blinders. Look it over well make a list of everything it needs done just to get it on the road. It may shock you. Sentiment won't help you build the car, time and money will. Having all the knowledge may help you negotiate a price a bit more agreeable to you.

Since you mention an executor of the will am quessing once again that the car was not mentioned specifically in the will. So the executor has a legal responsibility to the beneficiaries to be honest in the disposal of all property. It may be that they may be willing to negotiate a lower price since your wife wants it. But since no one else seems to want it it just an asset to them.

I really hope its the car for you two. If it is then do whatever you need to get it. I'd be asking Lou what he'd want picture wise and areas to focus on.

Now I love 57 Fords, and know some guys are crazy about retracs and that's great. But personally that B pillar kills it for me and for that reason alone it wouldn't be my first choice. However it doesn't have to ring my bell and if it ends up in your driveway we'll be here to help you as needed.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Forgot to add, Welcome! Think you'll like it here.

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

jumping jack flash

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum. Without pics and knowing what is going to have to be R & R'd, we're all just guessing. Largely depending on what part of the country you're from and what you're use to for a "normal" project restoration can be a huge difference of opinion. Quick body and paint over improperly repaired areas are relatively easy as far as hiding problems. Not so much with the undercarriage, floorpans, and in your case the special roof storage areas and operating mechanisms. Give the floorpans, inner rockers, floor supports, etc. a thorough looking at.  The roof not operating could be a simple electrical problem, or an expensive one. At least it's apparently still all assembled. A disassembled basket case retrac could be a nightmare unless you've got prior experience with them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

1stGen

Ok, looks like I've lied and wasted your guys time. It turns out to be a ''58 and not a '57. Thought I'd post some pics to let you see what it looks like anyway. We also found an old bill of sale and VIN number. Gonna take some time to get it out in the open to get a better look at it. It's been 8 years since I've laid eyes on it. Thanks for everyone's time....sounds like there's tons of knowledge on here, kinda wish it WAS a '57 :)

1stGen

Some more pics

Zapato

Quote from: 1stGen on 2014-04-20 23:25
Ok, looks like I've lied and wasted your guys time. It turns out to be a ''58 and not a '57.

Lot of 57 knowledge flows right into 58s, don't be a stranger. check out 57imposter he's been welcome here forever.

Zap- :unitedstates:

And since its a 58 it seems appropriate to change your handle to 2ndGen, lol
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hotroddonnie

Wow, that looks like its in pretty nice shape, and it appears to be all there other then the steering wheel, which could be hiding in the trunk. HRD

Ecode70D

It looks like I see an Intercepter Special emblem on the glove box door.  If so that's cool.  If you go back to look at it agian,  try to get some pictures of the outside lower panels.  I do realize that there is hardly any room to get near it in the garage.  So far it looks real good.  Standard shift with the FE engine was pretty peppy and still is. 

geraldchainsaw

don't u think u guys are a little low on the value of the car?,.   it could easly go for  15 or more,  clean away the dust and grim i would say its like a barn find and well preserved,  just my opinion.   jerry