4R70W Transmission in a '57?; are there any clearance issues with the tunnel?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-10-24 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I should have inquired about this sometime ago..........are there any clearance issues with a 4R70W transmission regarding the transmission tunnel? I don't recall reading about any problems, but better to ask than assume. BTW, the engine being used with this transmission is a 351, should it make any difference.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

Hey John.........No issues with my 4R70W on a 4.6. I believe it is the same case as an AODE, btw.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

No problem.  Made a new cross member and moved it back.  Use the long tailshaft transmission...a little harder to find.  Long yoke on the rear end and Crown Vic PI aluminum shaft works.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-10-24 16:44
No problem.  Made a new cross member and moved it back.  Use the long tailshaft transmission...a little harder to find.  Long yoke on the rear end and Crown Vic PI aluminum shaft works.

Gary.......how do I identify the long tail shaft version?  Measurement? I have the 4R70W, but didn't know there was a preferred long tail shaft version.
I have the Crown Vic Police aluminum drive shaft and I also acquired a Crown Vic transmission cross member that has humps for the exhaust.
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I didn't know either. Mine came out of a Mark VIII, as did the aluminum MKVIII driveshaft which fit perfectly after I had a 1" taller yoke as Gary mentioned installed on the rear end during rebuild/mods. Depending on where your tranny ends up, you may not need a diferent crossmember. I modified my oem one, to clear the tranny oil pan, but the CV(?) tranny mount I used lined up almost ecact with the oem '57 crossmember mounting holes. the 2 1/2 exhaust cleared the crossmember / floor. I think Gary/Canadian Ranchero was able to use the oem crossmember without mods if I recall.

RICH MUISE

The taller yoke mentioned of course uses a different size u joint, so just a heads up before you change the driveshaft/u joint to match what you have now. The 1"taller yoke is a much cheaper way to go than having a driveshaft modified, and has the added benifit of being a much beefier yoke/joint than the old oem.

KYBlueOval

gasman826

Long tail shaft may not be necessary because there is only 1" +/- difference.  I just liked the fitment better.  The CV PI aluminum drive shaft fits better with the extra inch.  My drive shaft came from a 2006 PI so it had the larger (4R70) slip yoke size and 1350 u-joints.  There is no application rules for the long tail.  They are more common in CV, GM, Lincolns, F-150 and E-150.  Lay a measure tape down the backbone of the tail housing.  The short is approximately 10-1/4 to 10-1/2 inches and the long is about 11-1/4 to 11-1/2 inches.  AODs, AODEs, and 4R70s use both sizes.  A long 1350 OEM rear yoke is unusual.  Long 1350s are readily available in the after market but be aware they are (most if not all) Daytona pinion support compatible. 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-10-25 06:56
Long tail shaft may not be necessary because there is only 1" +/- difference.  I just liked the fitment better.  The CV PI aluminum drive shaft fits better with the extra inch.  My drive shaft came from a 2006 PI so it had the larger (4R70) slip yoke size and 1350 u-joints.  There is no application rules for the long tail.  They are more common in CV, GM, Lincolns, F-150 and E-150.  Lay a measure tape down the backbone of the tail housing.  The short is approximately 10-1/4 to 10-1/2 inches and the long is about 11-1/4 to 11-1/2 inches.  AODs, AODEs, and 4R70s use both sizes.  A long 1350 OEM rear yoke is unusual.  Long 1350s are readily available in the after market but be aware they are (most if not all) Daytona pinion support compatible.
Thanks Gary for the reply/information. I just measured the tail shaft and it is 11 1/4 " long so by sheer luck, I have the longer version. When I got the transmission, I also had them cut the front yoke off of the drive shaft that was in the van that this transmission came from.......a 1995 Van.
I'm not sure about what the slip yoke size is on the aluminum CV drive shaft I have..........I'll check that today and compare it to the yoke I got with the transmission. What are 1350 u-joints?
Thanks
John

gasman826

Biggest, common, OEM u-joint...there are bigger but I don't know of OEM application.

Outside Lock U-Joints by Series
Series              Width     Cap
1310 BC (Ford) 3.219    1.062 (shaft)
1330 BC (Ford) 3.622    1.062 (shaft)
1350                3.622    1.188

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2017-10-25 16:44
Biggest, common, OEM u-joint...there are bigger but I don't know of OEM application.

Outside Lock U-Joints by Series
Series              Width     Cap
1310 BC (Ford) 3.219    1.062 (shaft)
1330 BC (Ford) 3.622    1.062 (shaft)
1350                3.622    1.188

Gary, you truly are a wealth of knowledge.
Thank you sir!
John