News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

312 timing set up

Started by outcruisen, 2009-06-26 01:59

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi again all.. I am up to the engine assembly of the rebuild and need to know how you set up the timing?

I have read through the engine rebuild book but am a little confused by the timing chain set up. I know you have to go dot to dot (or pin to pin), but then you need to index the bottom gear a certain amount of teeth. This is where the pictures start to get a little fuzzy in the book.

How many teeth or links do you index, and which direction (towards the left or right).

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt, but I am cashing in favours left right and centre to keep the costs realistic and the engine builder mate of mine is happy to do the job for nix if I chase up all the technical info..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Outcruisen

Hoosier Hurricane

If you are looking at the James Eickman book, disregard the timing part.  It's wrong.  Looking at the front of the engine, turn the crank and cam until their timing dots are at the 3 o'clock position.  Oil filter side of the engine.  Install the chain with 12 pins between the dots.

John

outcruisen

Thanking you.. Much simpler than the book implied.

Once again thanks.

outcruisen

Thanks for that John.. When I looked at it your discription made life simple.. The timing chain even had darker links with the number 35 stamped at the 12 pin spacing.

Will be very easy to go from there.. (PS it is the James Eickman book I am using)..

Once again thanks.

Downunder Mark..