News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

neutral start switch

Started by rmk57, 2014-04-04 19:13

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Is there any adjustment you can make on the switch or linkage? Since I put the c-6 in it starts in gear I guess because there's one extra detent
in the trans.  Originally it would start only in neutral and not in N or P like a regular auto trans.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

canadian_ranchero

do you have the 57 switch,or the c6 one?

rmk57

The stock 57 switch on the column. I don't have the c-6 one that mounts on the trans and I wouldn't know where to get get one.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Not sure if this would do you any good or not...Ron Francis Wiring...
Note the "must be used in conjunction with..." may not be what you're looking for, but thought I'd throw it in
http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NS%2D650
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Go to the transmission mounted one...MUCH safer and it has the option for backup lights.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-04-05 09:52
Go to the transmission mounted one...MUCH safer and it has the option for backup lights.

and if you decide to stay with the stock switch....it is located on the lower portion of the column, it is held on with a simple "exhaust" style clamp.  Just loosen and adjust for the "start in neutral" closing.  That will also put the backup light switch in the proper sequence as well.  FYI, there are two sets of terminals on that switch, one pair for the neutral safety and the other for the backup lights.  57s only started in neutral, a 58 switch had park and neutral.  57 switch easy to find....not so much for the 58s
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rmk57

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-04-05 11:29
and if you decide to stay with the stock switch....it is located on the lower portion of the column, it is held on with a simple "exhaust" style clamp.  Just loosen and adjust for the "start in neutral" closing.  That will also put the backup light switch in the proper sequence as well.  FYI, there are two sets of terminals on that switch, one pair for the neutral safety and the other for the backup lights.  57s only started in neutral, a 58 switch had park and neutral.  57 switch easy to find....not so much for the 58s

Thanks that's I'm looking for. I was wondering what the other two terminals were for. I'm going to use the stock one for now and keep my eye open for a the trans mounted one.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rmk57

Got the stock one to work by loosening the two screws and turning it backward or forward. There is a small amount of adjustment built into it so its a trial and error thing to get it right.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429