News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Five Years (+10) and counting

Started by gasman826, 2014-05-20 19:20

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

Thanks for the info! I ordered a Derale 19" 6 blade fan and a Hayden shallow clutch. I can finally drive my car even when it gets hot because of the recently installed EFI but at 85 ambient temp the car will run over 212 (as hot as I let it get) It seems to cool down when it is idling though. I have had nothing but issues no matter what I have tried as you probably know.
Lynn

gasman826

I have followed your heating issues.  Very frustrating!  I've put together far too many cars with marginal cooling systems.  This time I went for broke.  If the biggest and best won't do the job, well there is no plan 'B'.  All my over heating issues have been at low speed, idling, in traffic, with AC on which means low air flow.  So the solution is better flowing fans and more radiator surface (or more radiator technology)...which means more money!  I haven't dealt with over heating under power...road heating.  The books say overheating under power is too small (or inefficient) radiator...possible blockage.  Did you ever run it down the road with no hood or hood opened to the safety catch?

lalessi1

As of now the car will hold a temp of about 185 at idle with no A/C at 85 ambient but as I drive around town the temp will start to creep up steadily. I don't think I have an issue at steady highway speeds. I think the electric fans may be restricting airflow at low speeds. I have a large vent flap under the fans but it not may function until speed is applied. I have considered a bigger radiator and a modified core support. I have even considered a different engine which is desperation defined! I have not tried opening the hood... I keep forgetting. The fan and clutch came yesterday, I am curios to see what they do to alter what I am seeing.
Lynn

gasman826

Dyno sheets!

1) 677 HP 784 ft/tq on 93 gas
2) 692 HP 781 ft/tq on E85

gasman826

color change on the speedometer numbers...the chrome Sharpie worked really great

gasman826

Going over the pick list and checking very nut and bolt, I found the upper control arm bushing completely wiped out!  These were changed more than fifteen years ago but only 10k miles.  I'll put new ones in...no big deal but goes along with the quality of replacement parts.  Just saying, if your OEM bushing are still hanging in there...leave them.  I'll continue to shop for tubular control arms just to get more options for the bushing material.

lalessi1

Fatman has upper and lower A-arms. BTW I installed my 20" Derale clutch fan on a Hayden low profile clutch and the fan MOVES some air! I have a shroud being made and I won't know for sure if it solves my problem but I have high hopes! Thanks to your comments and experience I made the change.
Lynn

Rancher

gasman826

After installing upper control arm bushings again, I just finished full four-wheel and headlight alignments.

RICH MUISE

Nice seup.lol....I aligned my headlights a few weeks ago. Used the garage door as a reference.
4-wheel alignment?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

The rear end is all custom and adjustable with a triangular 4-link.  I needed to check the center line to assure the rear end was square to the frame and front wheels.  Many newer vehicles have 4 wheel independent, adjustable suspensions.  4 wheel alignments are common.  Newer alignment equipment have heads for all four wheels.

Ford Blue blood

I have always had four wheel alignments done on the first alignment.  I do this to make sure everybody is where they are supposed to be.  Even parallel leaf springs can get tweaked and have things slightly out.  I guess it is just a nervous nelly thing for me after having it tore down to the bare bones.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

AC...checked off the pick list.  Vacuum has held for more than five years.  Fresh refrigerant charge, calibrate the stepper motors and dash controls, and system checks.  40 degrees at the registers.  Getting closer to more driving tests.

lalessi1

5 years on a vacuum test!!! That has to be a world record! Your car is AWESOME! Did you get the Fatman control arms?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

You have an awesome car, and an awesome garage. Not too many have their own A/C equipment, lol. This is the first time I've noticed you eliminated some seams........headlight surround, eyebrows, etc. I'd sure like to see pics of the car in full posing mode.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe