News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

On the road...again!

Started by mustang6984, 2020-08-30 19:23

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I'm glad to hear that you made it safely.  Was there any damage to the toys the trucker brought in?

Terry

mustang6984

Nope...everything arrived in the same shape it left. Sadly...no elves jumped on board and painted or body-worked anything. LOL!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

CobraJoe

SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE IN THE HOME STRETCH HUGH!   :blob6:
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

mustang6984

Yep...last trip coming up...thankfully. I'll be happy to be done as you might imagine!
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Hugh, how many miles each way from your old home in Washington to MO? Have you kept a total of the miles back and forth? My coast to coast trip across Canada was about 4000 miles, or 6000 kilometers one way. We typically only drove 6 to 8 hours per day, since I was towing pretty heavy, and we wanted to do almost all the trip during daylight hours, don`t want to run into a moose in the dark! The trip gave me a whole new respect for long haul truck drivers!
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

mustang6984

It is about 2100 miles one way. After this trip I will have made 4 of them. That is just for the move. Altogether since I bought the apartment building, I have made over 14 of these trips. I bought a 2014 F-350 with 119k miles on July 30th of 2020...it now has over 148k on it. Will be well over 150k by the time I return with the boat. Oh...and it will need new front tires then as well.  I already replaced the back ones after the first trip in September.   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

alvin stadel

Hugh, you told me the other day you were going to go after your boat in about 10 days or so and come by here and see me. You may want to rethink this,, winter has hit us with a vengeance. Yesterday afternoon at Park City where you leave  I-90 to come to my place they had a wreck involving 18 , 18 wheelers and I don't know how many cars and pickups.  Lots of snow and ice and temps for the next 9 days will be right a 0.   Not telling you what to do but maybe you should fish from shore for a while and let the boat stay where it is for another couple weeks.  Take care, Alvin

mustang6984

UGH! Only problem is that I need to be out of where I have some other stuff stored by last day of Feb. Might have to go the long annoying way and just deal with the expense...40 to Barstow and then over to and up I-5. Unless things are better in Salt lake, then I could do the dinky roads to there and up that way.

I will check closer when I get to Wed and Thurs to see what conditions things are. I just want to end this move...sooner rather than later.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

If you are coming my way, I'll buy lunch!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Well...from the files of "Best laid plans of mice and men" comes this update...
Seems I cannot get in to see my doctor here in MO until the 17th...so given the meds I have/had...and the need to see which ones i should have renewed...I shall not be leaving until then ( in the afternoon) at the earliest. That extra week plus will of course determine the route I take. If Alvin says to stay away from Wyoming/Montana...then I will be taking a southern route and heading to Barstow probably...then up I-5 to Oly and 101 to Port Angeles.

Thankfully...this is the last trip!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

Don't assume the southern route will be clearer. We had a cold front move in, and they are expecting overnight lows in the minuses by end of the week, with snow and ice on Saturday. Make sure you check the Flagstaff area........they get hit hard and often.

mustang6984

Oh yea...I know. I am overwhelmingly familiar with all of the east/west routes...sadly. But 40 will be cleaner long before 90 0r 80. And going 70 is a waste of time because it dies out way too early. My only sure route to avoid any annoyances would be to go 10...but then I would have to go through L.A. County...and that for me is more annoying than snow.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Hugh, If you are forced to use the 10 you could take the 10 to the 15 to the 138/14 over to the 5 to avoid LA. Or the 15 to Barstow and 58 to the 5.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

mustang6984

Thanks...I'll remember that.  :006: :003:
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

With any luck, Hugh and I will be having dinner together tonight. He's figuring Amarillo by early evening.