News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 300

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2016-10-27 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A grudge race.......Palookaville vs, Saskatoon on the polka dot planet, lol. Sounds like a plot for another Cars movie.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

FiveSevenLiter

You must not remember than my car has been blessed by the greatest '57 driver of all time.  Parnelli won his first Nascar race in a white 300!
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Jeff Norwell

That's awesome Terry!

billd5string

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2017-06-11 20:29
You must not remember than my car has been blessed by the greatest '57 driver of all time.  Parnelli won his first Nascar race in a white 300!

Okay - not exactly related to the topic - but I just got done reupholstering the seats in my '57 and was disappointed to see the driver side lays back a little farther than the passenger side.... just EXACTLY like in the picture FiveSevenLiter posted! I feel better now!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

FiveSevenLiter

That is the good news, the bad news was he did not like the 1957.  When I was putting my car together I contacted Parnelli to find out what colour wheels he ran on his car.  Vel's sponsored three '57's all with different colour wheels.  I was reminded Parnelli is the oldest living Indy 500 winner and he could not remember everything like wheel colours sixty years ago.  But he could remember he did not like the car as much as the '56, so whenever Vel did not go to a race, Parnelli would load up the '56.  It was an overwhelming day to meet him and have him sit in the car, sign the dash.
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

hiball3985

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2017-06-12 23:09
That is the good news, the bad news was he did not like the 1957.  When I was putting my car together I contacted Parnelli to find out what colour wheels he ran on his car.  Vel's sponsored three '57's all with different colour wheels.  I was reminded Parnelli is the oldest living Indy 500 winner and he could not remember everything like wheel colours sixty years ago.  But he could remember he did not like the car as much as the '56, so whenever Vel did not go to a race, Parnelli would load up the '56.  It was an overwhelming day to meet him and have him sit in the car, sign the dash.
Thats just too cool! I remember those Vels Fords running at many tracks, I think they also did Pikes Peak? My memory is fading with age but weren't Parnelli's cars at Riverside Nascar races Vels also, not 57's but 60's models?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

hiball3985:

Boy, that shot of the 57 in the turn, I believe at Ascot Raceway brings back good memories.  I was born and raised in Torrance about a mile from where Vels Parnelli Jones Ford was located.  I bought my first new car from them, a 65 Mustang, ordered in July 1964, delivered in November 1964.  Here's a bit of trivia for you the dealership was located in what used to be a Lucky Market, the showroom in the front and the service bays & lifts on linoleum tile floors.  Those old bias ply tires really squeaked when cars were turning into or out of the bays. I sold my first 57 Ford to get the Mustang.  Now, I wish I could get both of them back.

Bob
57 AGIN

djfordmanjack

sorry Jeff for getting offtopic, but
Bob, just love the old 1960's pics ! the chrome rear wheels are killer. Did you race it with the 260?

rmk57

Those are cool photos. You also got to race at one of SoCals most historic dragstrips to.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

djfordmanjack:

By the time I had placed my order, Ford had upgraded the engine available to the 289, I was also able to amend my original order to add the front disc brakes.  So when I got my car in November I had a 289, 225hp, single quad, 4-speed and I had ordered it with a 3:50 rear gears and equa-loc.  About 3 months after getting delivery I had Vel's install 3:80 rear gears, which at that time were the biggest gear set available for the 8 inch ring & pinion.  Before I joined the Navy I went to a wrecking yard and bought a Ford 9 inch rear end that had 3:50 gears installed and then obtained a spare 3rd member and installed a set of 4:57 gears.  With the wide ratio Borg Warner T-10 I had a launch ratio of 12.7 which let me get a 2-3 car length head start on the other cars in my class. I was turning 13.60's at 101 mph and taching right at 6,000 in the timing lights. I was living the good life, then I went into the Navy in May 1966.

By November 1966 I was out of Boot Camp and in my Electrician's Mate A School, I went back to Lions.  When I arrived I saw a Galpin Motor Sports 65 Falcon being backed off a trailer and we were in the same class, G stock (280 - 300 ci), Optional, Formula 6 (single quad, hydraulic lifters).  His first run was 11:20 at 112 mph.  My glory days were over.  But I sure had fun for the first couple of years.  lol

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Jeff:

I, too apologize for the hijack on your beautiful 57 Custom thread.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2017-06-17 15:28
hiball3985:

Boy, that shot of the 57 in the turn, I believe at Ascot Raceway brings back good memories.  I was born and raised in Torrance about a mile from where Vels Parnelli Jones Ford was located.  I bought my first new car from them, a 65 Mustang, ordered in July 1964, delivered in November 1964.  Here's a bit of trivia for you the dealership was located in what used to be a Lucky Market, the showroom in the front and the service bays & lifts on linoleum tile floors.  Those old bias ply tires really squeaked when cars were turning into or out of the bays. I sold my first 57 Ford to get the Mustang.  Now, I wish I could get both of them back.

Bob
57 AGIN
Those were the good old days. We went to Ascot occasionally, nothing was more fun then the dirt clots flying and landing in you cup of beer if you were brave enough to sit in the first few rows  :003: I spent most of my Saturday nights at Saugas raceway were it was paved and Galpins 57 driven by Ron Hornaday was king, which lead to many others converting to Fords and Chevy's dominance crumbled.
One sad day my girlfriend showed up a my house with a 66 Mustang, all black in and out, 225 horse, 4 speed, disc brake. She had a 56 Tbird 312, 3spd OD that she sold to a mechanic in the shop at the dealership for $500 to use as a down payment because the dealership wouldn't take it as a trade in  :005: I was ready to kill her.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Those are very cool stories ! :004:
Bob and Jim, it would be great if you could copy these into your respective build threads, so not to spoil Jeffs thread and to save them for future reference.
Any race won since, Jeff ?  :003:

Jeff Norwell

All good guys!!!!...I have nothing to report other than I was waaayyyyy up north with a bunch of pals...... we took our cars on a 350 mile road tour(one way to a friends place)... had a great weekend and the 57 drove with out fail!!!!!
Rain was bad and the Newport saved the day.... cruised effortless between 65-75 mph....

I did beat out two BB Mopars on the Hiway!

Great stories fellas!!!!!!

Carry on!