News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

One Last Time ----Tire & wheel Size ??

Started by kens65fb, 2014-10-17 18:18

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

My resto-mod  57 Ranchero is in final primer, ready for paint.
I know it has been asked before, and answered several times before, but I am about ready to order my wheels, and tires.
The wheels I am looking at are

Front    17 x 7  with 4.25 backspace ---  I have the R & P from this forum installed, Disc brakes installed, no other modifications.
Rear       18 x 8  with 4.50  backspace---  No Mods to suspension.

Does anyone have actual knowledge, or opinions if these wheels will fit.

Anyone ??

clusterbuster

Can't help you out with that. How are you going to get an accurate speedometer if you put 17 inch tires on?

akronterr

I don't know if this will help but I took the rear wheels off my 02 GT Mustang which were 18x10 and put them on the rear of my 57 fairlane 500. I had a 1/8 inch space to the leaf spring. About the same to the outer body

57chero

I was running torque thrusts 17x7 with a 4" backspace on the front with no problems, 18x8 with a 4.75 backspace on the back with plenty of room on the back side and about 1/2" on the front side. It also depends on the tire you use. I recently changed to a cragar street pros 17x7 with a 3.75 backspace on the front with no problems and a 17x8 with a 4-5/8 backspace doesn't rub but its tight. Threw in a picture of my 351W y-block one a be.

57chero

Pictures of the ranchero didn't work, I will try it again.

JPotter57

looks good..wheels look good too, good choice.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Those pictures don't do it any justice, its beautiful in person.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

rmk57

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2014-10-17 18:52
Can't help you out with that. How are you going to get an accurate speedometer if you put 17 inch tires on?

As long as the tire circumference is the same as original it shouldn't change the speedo readings.
All that's out the window with a more modern running gear though.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

clusterbuster

Didn't know that you could maintain the same circumference with that big of a tire. That is one beautiful Ranchero pictured there.

rmk57

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2014-10-18 08:35
Didn't know that you could maintain the same circumference with that big of a tire. That is one beautiful Ranchero pictured there.

A p205 75 14 is within  1/4" of a p245 50 17 in height. I personally don't like the look of low profile tires on older cars, but that's just my taste.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Frankenstein57

I have a set of torque thrust 2s, 17x7,  4" backspace. No clearance issues, I did learn that my axle was not centered,  I have fixed that problem. I wanted this style and color for the car, they only came in 17s. Im happy with the look. The tires are 235x50x17, I mounted a set of freebies to make sure that they cleared, when I get the keeper's I'll go for less tire on the front, this is to much tire for this old girl. Mark

clusterbuster

The 205/70/14 inch tires are what my 57 has on it. They fit well and the radial tire sure is an improvement over the old tires from the 50"s. Has a softer ride..

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-10-18 11:42
I have a set of torque thrust 2s, 17x7,  4" backspace. No clearance issues, I did learn that my axle was not centered,  I have fixed that problem. I wanted this style and color for the car, they only came in 17s. Im happy with the look. The tires are 235x50x17, I mounted a set of freebies to make sure that they cleared, when I get the keeper's I'll go for less tire on the front, this is to much tire for this old girl. Mark
Mark...when you get your "keepers", are you going to stay with the 17 x 7 up front, or go with a narrower rim (assuming they offer one).
I really think your wheel/tire size is perfect on the back....what I was hoping to get on mine.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

Rich , I was hoping to put a bit less tire on those wheels. Not wanting to spend more $ on wheels. If anyone has any input if a 225 or 215 would fit a 17x 7 OK, please join in. This car doesn't have power steering, it handled much better with explorer wheels and smaller 15" radials. The front end has been gone over and is fairly tight, I recently found I was towed in, I fixed that and its driving better. The wider low profile tires definitely search around on the pavement, and our roads up here take a beating in winter,   Mark

65kcode

I trial fit my Coys wheels Elenanors 17x8 w/ 4.75 backspacing off my 65 Mustang Fastback. Fronts 225/45/17, Rears 245/45/17. No problem with clearance on either.  I however, never drove it like that, and didn't have the engine in either.  Hope this helps.... maybe muddy the waters even worse! haha

Kevin