News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear bumper swap

Started by n77cjs, 2016-01-23 15:20

Previous topic - Next topic

n77cjs

Not sure if I have this in the right board but I have a rear bumper on a fairlane town that is in poor condition. As I live in Newfoundland, Canada, rechroming is not an option due to shipping cost (no chroming shops in this next of the woods). As I am not fussy on the huge bumper anyways, what options do I have on a swap from another model or even a universal bumper. I am new at this so don't laugh at my question on a universal bumper if such thing doesn't exist!

sprink88

If you have a Custom rear bumper you will also need the brackets. They do fit the Fairlane, But you need the brackets. As far as other bumpers.... I would guess you would need those brackets too. And maybe some modifying.
~Chris

n77cjs

Not so much worried about the brackets or the fabricating of some, but wondering about the dimension and fit (or look). Is the 300's the same length? Has anyone used a non-fairlane bumper on their fairlane?

Hoosier Hurricane

I have a '58 Fairlane rear bumper on my '57.  It is not as tall as the '57 Fairlane, but taller than the Custom.  I like the look.  Some Meteors of that era may have the same bumper as the '58 Ford.  Problem is you are looking for parts that are 55+ years old.   John

RICH MUISE

I think basically you're asking about body and frame dimensions...the Fairlanes are longer, not wider.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

sprink88

What Rich said.  That 300 bumper should fit. Same width.
~Chris

Limey57

Have you considered having the original bumper powder coated?  A lot of powder coaters (assuming you can find one local) are now doing a chrome finish, which while not quite as shiney as REAL chrome, looks very good.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

57 imposter

WE have a guy here in town that has a 57 Fairlane with a custom bumper. fits right and looks good

n77cjs