News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cowl top ventilator grill Screws

Started by Ecode70D, 2017-02-22 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm missing all of the cowl top ventilator screws.  Would someone please post pictures and approximate measurements so I can get an idea of what I should be looking for.
    Thanks in advance for any and all responses.  Jay

terry_208

I don't know how to post pics, yet.  Mine are 3/8" long X 3/16 (approx.) dia.

I measured the screw with a dial micrometer and came out with these measurements: length (under head) 1/2", diameter at the bottom of the threads, 0.13", diameter at top/outside of threads, 0.183-0.186".  I hope this is a greater help.
Terry

terry_208

We are talking of the piece under the windshield wipers?
Terry

Ecode70D

Terry
     Thanks for The measurements.   What kind of head do they have on them?  Are they Phillips, slotted, or hex head?   
    If they are hex head, what size wrench do they take?   
      My very simple phone will not accept pictures and if it does, I wouldn't know how to work it..  I'm going to PM my email address to you to see you can do it that way.
Thanks a lot.   Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-02-22 13:29
We are talking of the piece under the windshield wipers?

Yes it is the grill piece with the slots in it between the back of the hood and the windshield.
Thanks.  Jay

terry_208

Sorry, forgot to tell that the heads have a flat shoulder and take a Phillips screwdriver.
Terry

Ecode70D

Quote from: terry_208 on 2017-02-22 18:08
Sorry, forgot to tell that the heads have a flat shoulder and take a Phillips screwdriver.

Now it's starting to sound more like what I did use to fasten that piece into place.

Ecode70D

Terry
   Thank you for emailing /sending me these pictures.  Now that I know what they do look like I will have to make a careful search for them.   Jay

terry_208

Why not post in the "wanted" section? I sure someone may have some saved from one that was parted.
Terry

djfordmanjack

Jay I'm sorry I am late to the party. I can absolutely confirm what others said.  Phillips pan head, #10 (3/16 diam) x 3/8 length sheet metal screw. you will need 9 of them
You don't have to look far, here you go, zinc plated steel
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=2490
ss
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=9870

They are in Hingham, MA 02043 no 30 miles from you. you can pick up the screws in their shop but you have to pre-order online.
If thats a problem for you I can do it.

Here's what I checked today

Ecode70D

Guenter
     Thanks for double checking that for me.
     I may not have to go to Hingham for some nice plated ones.   Do you remember that place where
I took you at the Middleborough rotary called ''NUTS" that specialized in nuts and bolts?   It's just down the street from my house and will be a nice drive for the old car.   I think that I'll take a drive over there tomorrow and get some with the correct plating on them.  I don't even know why I'm being so fussy.  Who is going to see them when I'm passing them on the highway with my 57 Ford anyways?     

djfordmanjack

I think you got infected by someone who is sometimes fuzzy on little things like cowl vent screws, gas pedal screws, fender bolts, what have you... :003:

Ecode70D

Günter
     I don't need to be too fussy because it might lead to my getting tempted to putting hubcaps on the
car and removing the radial tires that it didn't come with. 

James
     Please notice that I have the correct stickers in the rear windows.     

Limey57

I've used some stainless ones I mine to prevent them rusting.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

lalessi1

I used stainless on mine as well, bought them at the hardware store.
Lynn