News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New thread: Electric windows

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-03-27 23:14

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hope you guys aren't getting too tired of seeing my name pop up so often, but like that  old post I found, someone's got to start a new thread. I recently converted my 2 dr sedan to electric windows in the front...here's what worked great for me:
I looked at most of the aftermarket kits available and liked the way the electric life brand was made. On many of the other brands I looked at, the channel that the glass mounts into was screwed or permanently fixed to the bracket that moves up and down the main vertical "slide" (?). The electric life unit has a channel that slides back and forth on two nylon "buttons", that in turn also swivel in and out. The purpose of this is that you don't have to have the unit mounted dead nuts in line with the window door channels to have a smooth operation. With that said, I bought a set at a goodguys show on sale not even sure if they would fit. The guy that sold them to me said he thought they would, and I could return them if they didn't. With a minor alteration they worked out great. As the whole unit mounts between the glass and the inside of the door, and on 57's the glass gets pretty close to the inside at the top, you have to relocate the white tube that houses the worm drive. As it comes out of the box, the tube is clipped to the vertical slide, keeping the slide from fitting between the glass and door. I simply unclipped the tube, carefully straightened it out and, when I  did the final installation, ran it up the door post behind the glass channel. There is just enough space to do this. This method obviously will not work for hardtops or convertibles, only doors with posts. The only alteration I had to do to the door was cut out the spotwelds that hold the original channel that the original regulator rollers moved back and forth on, and remove that channel.The rest was simply drilling mounting holes, etc....just follow the directions One other thing I did a little different was using Dow Corning #765 Adhesive to attach the new glass into the channel. The rubber strip they supply to do this was so tight I was afraid to break the glass trying to pond it on.The model of the one I used is EL1000.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe