News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Quick decisions

Started by JimNolan, 2011-02-26 07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'd like to know how many of you out there make quick decisions that more than likely are changed when you've had time to think it over. Example: When I was building the 390/406 engine for my 63 galaxie I decided I had a driver in the 57 so I was going to make a drag strip car. After spending good money to buy pop-up pistons and radical cam I changed my mind. I then had to spend the same money again to buy different compontents. Is this a man thing or mental disorder. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wv 57s forever

:deadhorse:

i hope its a man thing now that i have my 3rd cam,2nd intake,2nd trans,at least 3rd different size carbs,3rd or 4th gear ratio, but mostly i like to stick to the same thing? ha ha.

geraldchainsaw

i would say its probly because of the weather,   can't drive them, so we think of diff ways to improve them,  u can only watch TV so much, or have discussions with the wife that your going to lose anyway, + we're getting old & some us have more money & don't know what to do with it,  & we don't make the best dicisions any more,  but the biggest thing is the weather & we're bored

Frankenstein57

I think time has alot to do with it, I made some modifications to my 57 that I don't like, so I'm going to change them. If you were in a hurry to finish a build, you would wish you did some things differently. I built a new house mostly myself over a two year period, while living 70 feet away in my old farmhouse. we made a few changes for the better when not under specific deadlines. I'm sure that 63 will be one sweet ride when its done, Mark

briney

Jim,

You asked "Is this a man thing or mental disorder".  Given those two options I would have to say... mental disorder.  I work too hard for every dime and don't have luxury of wasting money being wishy-washy with my cars build direction. When I decide to get a car I sit down and decide what I want to do to it, how much it will cost me and stick to the plan. Period. I know you are a no nonsense kinda of guy and you appreciate and want a direct answer to your question on the man thing or mental disorder.

Regards,

Patrick / Dallas TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Lou

I have only done restorations on 57s, If I'm working off an original invoice it stick to it, if I don't have a history on the car I may add or subtrack factory accessories. But I usually take about a month planning what I'm going to do and pricing everything out (Then double it). Once the car is disassemble if I find some major problem I may change my plan, other wise I try and stay in my budget.

shopratwoody

I like radical stuff on the street :003:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

I think briney may be right with my circumstance. I am more reasonable with other people than I am with myself. Part of it may be something my Grand-Father told me. Now, he was 80 when he told me this so bear that in mind. He said; if there's anything you want, any place you want to go or anything you want to do, do it now. He said; when you get older you don't feel like going places, doing things and couldn't care less how much land you own, do it while you can enjoy it. Also, my wife and I saved from the time we were 40 to be able to retire in comfort. She was a big nut of saving. She died before she could enjoy that savings.
   I didn't mean to get serious on you but here lately some of the things I've been doing the last three years are down right goofy. Jim

Ford Blue blood

Jim I really don't think it is either choice you gave.  Things and ideas come to the top and they look good, sound good and all of the sudden you start to set the wheels in motion.  Then as time passes the things and ideas are re-visited, evaluated and found to be good or not so good so the intitial direction must be changed in the "not so good" findings.  Many reasons and rational cause this change and I think it is a natural process to get to where you want to be with a project.

Now having said all of that....I try to figure out where I want to be first, then how to get there and then the parts (little parts) start to be located and looked at.  The easiest direction is restoration, complications start to settle in as you move away from there into resto-mod, it gets event more complex as you move further away yet...and on and on it goes.

So....no....you're not nuts and you are a man that thinks thing through, maybe too much some times, but through none the less!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Well, let's see Jim...
I bought this car, cut the rear end out of it to minitub it.  ONce that was done, I changed my mind, cut it all back out and grafted on the stock rear frame from another car.  Now, it is where it was when I first brought it home, although now with new springs and bushings.  Next, I bought all Granada front spindles and stuff, then I decided I wanted to o the nostalgia thing, so I put rebuilt stock drums on it.  Now, they're getting ready to come back off and be replaced by 12 inch `70 LTD copcar brakes.  Then, I decided I wanted a Y block in it, spent a LOT of money collecting desirable 292 blcoks, steel crank, supercharger style heads, etc.  Changed my mind in true man fashion, sold it all for a fraction of what I had in it, then bought a high compression 351 Cleveland 4v.  Now that it is all rebuilt and ready to drop in with a 5 speed, I am considering buying a complete Linclon Mark VIII runner and transplanting the motor and trans into the Ford, along with all wiring, etc.   Not sure, but with gas headed toward $4 per gallon again, it sure seems smarter than the guaranteed 10 mpg or less I will get with the 11:1 big solid cammed Cleveland.  Oh yeah, now the 4.56 with spool gets to come back out as I decide whether or not I want to put in the shortened 8.8 rear with 3.55 and limited slip.  About the only thing that has remained constant about this whole build is the white exterior with red interior.  And the white may change to silver.....This is why we end up with way more in these cars than we will ever get out of them.
Ford BlueBlood, I think we are nuts...at least my wife thinks I am, lol.  I may end up building an altered roadster to put the Cleveland in, let my daughter drive it next year at the drags....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James,
    You sure know how to cheer up a guy. When your wife kicks you out you can come live with me (weather sucks though). I thought I might have a mental problem, you're insane. LOL You know all the trouble I've went through trying to get my car to sit level ( four sets of front springs ), BlueBlood just made me realize when I replaced the rear springs years ago I installed it with the shackles flipped and didn't realize it. No wonder the front end always sat low. I can't give up now though, what would I do with my time and money if I couldn't waste it. Jim

RICH MUISE

Jim...I guess one good thing about not having too much money, It takes me so long to save the money for a particular project or part, I really have a lot of time to think about it. If I had the bucks to just go out and buy everything I was going to need before I even started the project, like Jeff Newell said he was doing, I'd be replacing lots of stuff too. As it is, I've already got a list of things to change, although it is a short list.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-02-26 21:59
Jim...I guess one good thing about not having too much money, It takes me so long to save the money for a particular project or part, I really have a lot of time to think about it. If I had the bucks to just go out and buy everything I was going to need before I even started the project, like Jeff Newell said he was doing, I'd be replacing lots of stuff too. As it is, I've already got a list of things to change, although it is a short list.
Rich
i am like you Rich.trying to build a car on a beer budget[i do not drink,so that helps]a person needs to decide what you want the car to be and try to stick to that plan[hard to do]a friend of mine thinks i need to restore my meteor because of the low[96]production.he does have a point,but i think the ranchero will be more fun to drive with the 4.6 4cam and get better mileage and performance than a 292 would ever do

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

When I built my '63 fastback R code a few years ago, I put too much cam in it for some silly reason, I wanted it to sound mean.  It was too much cam for the street.  I bought a milder cam and lifters, put them in.  Much more streetable.  In the last 3 years I have driven the car 4 times, probably less than 100 miles total.  I now realize the whole plan to restore the car was stupid, bought it on a whim because it was a genuine R code 500 XL.  I license and insure it every year, and it just sits in the garage.  I don't show it, I don't drive it.  Ought to just sell it.

John

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-02-26 16:49
Ford BlueBlood, I think we are nuts...at least my wife thinks I am, lol. 

James we are in the same boat....my wife has been long convinced I am nuts!  I do have to remind her from time to time that there is no cure....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II