News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cars and parts in the third world.

Started by Zapato, 2011-03-14 13:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

I've been going to Guatemala on service missions for a few years and as I travel around always have my eye out for old iron. Have yet to spot anything in the villages rusting away if it dies out there everything of any use would have disappeared shortly thereafter. I've seen in the past still in service 60s ambulances and hearses of course made in the USA versions. But its amazing the vehicles made for the 3rd world by the biggies including our corporate giants. GM builds vans that look just like the ones sold here except that they're about 3/4 size. From a distance you'd swear its a US version. Then every one builds all kinds of vehicles that probably wouldn't pass our even 60s safety standards. On this last trip the oldest things I spotted running were 2 Datsuns a 69 510 sedan an a 74 620 pickup.

However there was one part that interested me and I'll have to visit a Hunday dealer to see about acquiring one. There are several non US market SUVs there and the Hundays have a small bolt on hood scoop that resembles the scoop in shape and size found on the 55-57 T-birds. These are functional not just eye candy and as near as I could tell came in 2 slightly different sizes. Both were flush mounted on the hoods from underneath.

Unfortunately I never got a picture of either one.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

shopratwoody

Zap,Seems like I read somewhere that Hyandie(?) were built
under Ford licensing , whatever that means.
I hate blocksanding!

RICH MUISE

I have always wanted to visit Cuba as I understand it is, or at least was a few years ago, a country locked in the 50's and 60's because of the U.S. embargo and poverty in general. I watched a documentary on what it took for the local mechanics to patch things together to keep the old cars running. It was really interesting. The commentator on the show mentioned that the antique cars were declared a national treasure and blocked from being exported out of the country.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

I like to keep non-political on car boards, I left Cuba as a 7 year old just over 50 years ago. My father left a year earlier as he had a warrant out for his arrest for refusing to work for Castro and Che. Little known to most Americans but Cuba is now our 4th largest agricultural market. The embargo (and I have mixed feelings about it) has been the greatest aid to the Castro brothers as it has allowed them to blame every problem they have and continue to create on the USA. When the Russians left Cuba went thru what is called the "special period" Castro shipped a bunch of old cars here thru Mexico. His buddies there provided Mexican titles and they were sold here, an inventive way to get US dollars. Few years back I got involved with a bunch of new arrivals from Cuba, one was an incredible mechanic. Guy could fix anything with whatever he could scrounge up. He told me stories of making "BONDO" out of flour paste and guys he knew that figured ways to make paint, he was amazed when he saw my 51 ford couldn't believe the condition it was still in and it was is nothing but a good driver definitely not show worthy. Its a sad state of affairs that cars in worse condition than are found everyday in barns here are considered national treasures. Its not a country locked in the 50-60s its a country driven to worse than the Depression era was in this country by a select few individuals who have not missed a meal in over half a century while they systematically by institutionally methods of fear never accepting a bit of responsibility for their errors. After all, all problems in Cuba are the results of the embargo. If you believe that last line there are guys selling bridges in Brooklyn.

Rick, stay home don't give those bastards more money to live high on while others starve.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

RICH MUISE

Zap...thanks for the enligtenment..it's always good to get input from the people with the first hand knowledge. That Bondo story was similar to one they talked of on the documentary where a local had figured out how to make material in a furnace to reline old worn out brake shoes because new ones were not available and the ones that were available were supose to be solely for government vehicles.
by the way, welcome back home Zap.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Zap provided an interesting insight as to what's going on in Cuba.
A friend of mine who was a retired U.S. Customs officer, said that the U.S. also had laws against the importation of vehicles from Cuba even from a secondary destination such as Mexico or wherever.
He mentioned that the intent of the law was to create a negative financial impact on the Communist Government of Cuba by banning access to foreign funds for their cars.  I don't know of any instance of anyone being prosecuted for a back door importation of a Cuban origin vehicle but that doesn't mean it didn't happen...
BuBBa

Zapato

Bubba, my understanding is that when cars were funneled thru Mexico the Mexican government provided paperwork to make it look like they were never ever in Cuba. There are tons of laws pertaining to Cuba the most incredulous one came into play years ago when "The Beatles" did the concert for Bangladesh, the US froze all profits from same till Bangladesh agreed to stop trading with Cuba.

By the way the owners of those American cars shipped thru Mexico were given in exchange brand new Ladas. Some trade worn out junk for brand new Russian junk.

Anyway never meant for this to become a treatise on Cuban-American affairs, but to highlight car observations from foreign travels. For those interested in the former check out http://desdecuba.com/generationy/  one of many Cuba blogs with links to many others.

Zap-

Zapato

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2011-03-15 07:49

by the way, welcome back home Zap.   Rich

As much as I enjoy myself in other places its always good to hear that particular phrase. Thanks Rich

Zap- :unitedstates: :felix:
Zapato