News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

heigth

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2011-05-26 14:04

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi all.   i need a heigth,   from the top of the fin over the tail lite to the cement or ground,   at least 4 or 5 so i can get a average,   thanks

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I'm running 14" radial tires and my height at the rear fin from the concrete is 40" exactly. That's with newer stock rear springs. From the cement to the top of the front headlight eyebrow is 36" exactly. My car sits level at those heights.
Also, $539.00 for springs sounds like too much. I remembered paying about $200 for mine. I think the convertable has the same spring as the Hdtp. What is your cars height at the rear spring.Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

Jerry,
   Buddy, I'm sorry. I just looked up Eaton Detroit and rear springs for the 57 Fairlane was $539.00. I could have swore I didn't pay that much for them. I can see with springs costing that much why I wouldn't want to remember it. Jim

geraldchainsaw

hi Jim,    check the diam from the eye brow to floor,  38",   checked from floor to bott of rocker panel at front of door  7 3/4",    same at back by front of wheel well, 7 3/4",    from floor to top of fin 37",     and about the spring,    i spent a couple of hours adding 2 leafs,  no help,   i have some new leaf springs from my 51 that match up with the 57,  tomorrow i'll check the top leaf end to end see what measurrement  i get,  if same maybe i'll switch them an see what happens,  got the time,   as soon as i do some painting for the wife,  thanks for the info,     jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   37" is good in a way because there's something else you can do. Flip your rear spring shackles. Remember when I kept playing with my front springs trying to get the car level. Well, that's because I had installed my new rear springs with the rear shackle flipped. I am living proof that flipping the rear spring shackles doesn't damage the springs if the car is driven normally. That'll raise your rear about 2 1/2 " and won't affect the ride at all. The whole process of flipping them shouldn't take more than a hour to do. Jack the car up level from the rear and loosen the shackle bolts. Then just raise the car body up until you can put the shackles back on with the spring underneath the rear spring mount. That's an option. Jim

shopratwoody

Don't mean to be a smartass here, BUT flipped shackles look like crap IMO :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Lou

Flipped shakles on a car is like a big yellow sign on the back of the car saying "The springs are shot"

JimNolan

2010 Ford Nationals Carlisle, Pa
1st Place 1957-1959 Ford Full Size. Flipped Shackles Division
P.S.  I agree it don't look as good but it's an option that won't affect his ride and most people don't know what his car is much less if the shackles are turned wrong. What surprises me is the fact that Jerry's car is 2" higher in the front than mine is and mine is as close to level now as you can get. Jim

JPotter57

I thought you were only supposed to flip them to be able to get your too fat tires out from under the car....:P
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Easier way to flip them....jack her up, put the frame on stands, remove the lower shock on both sides, let the rear hang, place a 50 amp screw driver (or pry bar) between the spring and the hanger and push up, jack the rear up into the hanging shocks, reattach, lower the now higher car.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lowrider

If your still looking for rear springs, check out McVeighs Springs in Mio Mi. 225$ for mine w/bushings installed. I picked them up myself since its only a 3 1/2 road trip for me. Usa made in Pa. They also have a web site and are good people to talk to over the phone.