News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

side trim

Started by 57 imposter, 2012-05-05 08:17

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

awhile back there was a discussion on the gold inlay used on 57's. some members actually didn't much like the stuff. In the cu rent issue of Custom rodder on about page 58 there is a picture of a 57 Custom 300 from the Detroit show. They used all of the stock stainless trim but left the gold inserts out. the thing really looks good

JimNolan

57imposter,
    They all look good to me. How you finish a car is purely personal taste. I like the original appearance of the body and interior. I use to think modifing the suspension and drive-train of a classic car would give you the ride, handling and performance of a newer car. Now I think it just gets you into the 1970's. I've talked to a lot of people at car shows that only remembered one thing about a 57 Ford and it was that gold inlay down the side that set it apart from the other makes. You've got to remember that we see a lot of people that say " my grandpa had a car identical to yours, only it was green and white and it was an Oldsmobile". LOL Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 imposter

Sorry guys it's actually Street Rodder mag and it's on page 48. Made that first post from memory which might explain why I cant remember where I left my car keys half the time.  Jim your spot on on the comments from people. we were sitting at a stop light in a light yellow 1950 Ford club coupe when an old guy in the other lane hollered " we had a Hudson like that when I was a kid" I just smile and wave.

wv 57s forever

:iamwithstupid:

i would like to have a dollar for every time I've ben asked is that a 57 chevy.

Zapato

Imposter, not to hi-jack this thread but not remembering where you left your car keys reminded me of a story. you being from the PNW know about Fred Meyer stores and several in Portland had/have rooftop parking. Well one of my dad's friend lived a couple blocks away from one and it wasn't unusual for him to just walk over and get a few things rather than drive over and probably just as quick. This guy used to work some crazy hours and wasn't also unusual for him to not know if he was coming or going. One day on the way home he stopped at Freddies and parked on the roof. Did his shopping and came out scanned the street level lot didn't spot his car. Rummy from a long work day he thought car must be at home as I must have walked over. So he heads home walks right past where his car should have been and finishes out his day. Next morning around 5 he walks out and his car is not in the driveway and he figures its been stolen. So back into the house to call the cops. And in the 60s they actually used to respond so a few minutes later a cruiser shows up gets all his information etc... Now he has to ride the bus to work and he's not in the best mood as would be expected. Few hours later at lunch he's telling his lunch mates the story and as he's finishes. He blurts out the car is probably on the roof. Of course they had a good laugh at his expense and he got mad. Left work early hopped on the hated bus and sure as hell the car was on the roof exactly were he had left it the day before. He goes back in the store and call the cops to let them know he's found his car. And they instruct him to wait there as they want to be sure its really him and not the alleged car thieves. Few minutes later they show up check his ID and he tells them the story and of course they bust out laughing and as soon as one stops the other would start. He saw no humor in it and again got pissed off. So that following saturday he and his wife came over for dinner. I was working on my 57 ford in front of the house and he always had to come over and comment on how foolish it was that I had taken a perfectly good 6 cylinder car and had swapped in a big engine when gas prices had now reached 35 cents a gallon. And then he starts to tell my dad and me the stolen car story and of course we started laughing as the story progressed and well after. Now him and my dad were old friends from Cuba and had gone thru real deep **** there after Castro. And now he was really upset he could understand his co-workers laughing and the cops laughing but to have a fellow Cuban laugh at his misfortune that was too much. He was hot and ready to head home and not have dinner. My dad , the wives and a cold beer calmed him down and he reluctantly agreed that it could be funny to someone else but never to him. My dad always sat at the head of the table and I sat directly across from him. As I remember that meal I could not look up as I knew my dad would have grinned and I of course would have busted a gut once again.

And while I rambled on this story is really not about losing a car but about a young man who at that time in his life loved nothing more than working on his 57 Ford business coupe and enjoying a good laugh with his dad. Figured I better point that out to you guys.

So Imposter thank you for guiding my wandering thoughts to a for me great memory.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72