News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

292 and Fordomatic $?

Started by jazz475, 2012-05-09 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jazz475

Doing a 390 4spd swap in my Ranchero and am wondering what to do with the orig drive train. Is there any call for these out there and what is their approx worth?
Thank you in advance!

glen b henderson

Yes there is a demand for the y block and trans, price depends on condition and your location. Where are you located and give an honest assessment of there condition. Shipping is the real problem so most likely someone local would be willing to pay more that someone who had to work out shipping or drive a long distance to pick up. Please don't scrap it, someone will want it.
Freedom is not Free

jazz475

I live about 25 miles north of Seattle. The car,unfortunately, is not drivable due to conditions unrelated to drivetrain(taking over restoration project). I purchased the car from a family-in-law member and was told it was running strong when last parked. I have no reason to doubt this.

Zapato

How long has it been sitting?  Lots of things would need to be addressed if its been years. My advise before you do ANYTHING is to pull all sparkplugs then pour some Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder. Some cylinders will naturally accept it easier than others, Ones up close to TDC not so much. I do it as follows insert a funnel into each plug hole and wrap a rag around base of funnel. pour a couple ounces of MMO into funnel. Some will flow in easy at those locations I pull the funnel and wrap the rag around an air nozzle and give it a couple of blasts it will help coat the cylinder and force the MMO down around the piston rings. On the cylinders that wont accept much oil I wrap a second rag around the air nozzle and again blast to force the MMO down those cylinders to do its work.  And the ignore it for a couple days,

Then you can try to  turn the engine over without reduced risk of breaking a piston ring and scoring a cylinder on what could possibly be a very good engine. Without much history to many its not much more than a core. If it hasn't been separated from the tranny leave it that way the more complete the more desirable it remains. And leave anything and everything on the engine. I love it when everything is there even hoses/

my 2 cents

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

jazz475

Actually, it turns over just fine. Had the valve covers off and it was very clean. Pour fresh oil over the rkr assemblies and down the plug holes. No distr, so I haven't fired it up. As far as down time goes, I believe the car has been sitting for at least 8-10 yrs. Thanks for your input!

Zapato

Jazz, the more complete it is the easier it will be to sell. sometimes finding a small missing item can be a bear. For a true restorer its the small things that add up to satisfaction. No matter how tempting it can be at times leave it as completely unaltered as possible.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72