News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Good Guys

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2012-05-16 22:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Heading to Nashville for the Good Guys tomorrow morning at o'dark thirty.  Want to beat the heat and the afternoon traffic there.  This will be the maiden voyage for the wagon.  Spent the day taking out the 4:11 and put in a 3:00.  That was an adventure filled with a bunch of twist and turns.  It was a six hour thrash!

Anyone else going up there (or down) there?  Sorry...no cell to hook up, but spend a bunch of time sitting in the chair watching the world....so if ya run accross a black 2 Dr. wagon slamed with a balding 65 year old fat man hanging out that would be me.  Stop and say hi!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

BlueBlood,
    Good luck on your maiden voyage. Hope it goes as well as mine did on the Galaxie. That 3.00 rear gear will make it possible to go distance without giving you a headache but boy is it disapointing when it comes to reliving our childhood. Have fun. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57AGIN

Ford Blue Blood & Jim:

I remember when I was in my early 20's changing out the 3rd member in my Mustang, 4:57's to 3:50's to get ready for the drags.  I had it down to about 1 hour.  Now I'd be lucky to do it in 2 days.  LOL

Best news with 57 AGIN is now being able to shift into 5th (.64 overdrive gearing) for freeway driving.  The engine RPM with my 3:70's in the 3rd member goes from 3,500 down to a little over 2,000 at 70 mph. 

Now, if I can just figure out why I can't down shift out of 5th everything will be much better.  Both Rick and I are wondering what's going on, as the only change we did on assembling the transmission was turning the shift mechanism 180 degrees in the rear most shifter mounting position.  This moved the shift lever about 3" forward from the bench seat to give plenty of room for shifting.  I'll be contacting TREMEC to see if they have an explanation or a cure.  This was the only glitch I've noted since the car is back on the road.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Man..sounds like all the three or four(Rick) of you are having a great spring. Bill...glad to hear things are apparently going well enough with your wife's rehab to get you out for a weekend. That's really great. "balding 65 year old"?..cheer up...I'm 65..been bald for 43 years! I love the Goodguys shows..to me they're the best..lots more of the 50's and 60's that I'm into. Also like the vendors and swap meets that go along with them.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Had a good trip!  The ol beater got 16 mpg running 60 - 65 with the 3.00 gear.  No problems what so ever.  Never left the 185 mark while cruising the grounds.  Saw only one 58 Ranchero, no other 7s?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57redwhitered

Went to a small show in Abilene, KS Saturday (less than 100 cars) and there were 4 57's there.  1 Ranchero, 1 Custom 300, 1 Fairlane 500 and my retractable. The Ranchero and the Custom were both outstanding cars and both 428 powered. 
1957 Skyliner

shopratwoody

Nice cars, love that Ranchero
I hate blocksanding!

57redwhitered

That Rancher is owned by someone in Salina, KS.  He did take the best interior award at the show.  I am posting a few more photos I took of it for your viewing pleasure.
1957 Skyliner

Frankenstein57

I agree, sweet ranchero. Never saw a 2-tone with those lines, nice tub job. 

RICH MUISE

I also like the Ranchero..great color combo..catches your eye. Redwhitered...your retractible is looking pretty awesome also. Hard to tell from the pic, but the black Fairlane looks like a survivor??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2012-05-17 13:44
Ford Blue Blood & Jim:

Best news with 57 AGIN is now being able to shift into 5th (.64 overdrive gearing) for freeway driving.  The engine RPM with my 3:70's in the 3rd member goes from 3,500 down to a little over 2,000 at 70 mph. 

Now, if I can just figure out why I can't down shift out of 5th everything will be much better.  Both Rick and I are wondering what's going on, as the only change we did on assembling the transmission was turning the shift mechanism 180 degrees in the rear most shifter mounting position.  This moved the shift lever about 3" forward from the bench seat to give plenty of room for shifting.  I'll be contacting TREMEC to see if they have an explanation or a cure.  This was the only glitch I've noted since the car is back on the road.

Bob
57 AGIN
Bob,
   I used my Tremec right out of the box and didn't do any 180 turn of the shifter housing. I'd think that would be awfully hard to drive if you couldn't downshift. Let me give you a piece of advice if you powershift the car. When going from second to third don't shift it like a T-10. Go straight up with the shift. Put your power behind shifting it straight up. It can't be shifted by putting power up and to the right like a T-10. It'll scare you to do it at first but when you never miss a shift you'll get used to it. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57redwhitered

Rich,  The black Fairlane was rescued after a tree fell on the deck and rear roof area.  It is powered by a 5.0 FI with an AOD.  The owner wanted to have a vehicle that was like the one he and his wife had when they started dating.  He told me that it is a great cruiser.  In my opinion there is no such thing as a bad 57, some are just better than others.
John
1957 Skyliner