News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 AGIN's Back At Santini's

Started by 57AGIN, 2012-05-18 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Santini has my 57 AGIN again. lol  After the car was back on the road and as Rick and I were reassembling the car several areas were noted as needing some additional touch-up/actual repair.  After I got the car upholstered, I took the car to show Santini how nice the project came together.  Pete was effusive in his praise of how quickly and flawlessly 57 AGIN was back on the road.  When he looked closer he saw some areas, that he wasn't satisfied with and since he wants to use the car at some of the local car shows as a sample of his work he asked me to bring it back in for finalizing.  He's redoing some of the drip rail areas on the roof, the tail light bezels really don't fit properly so they will be worked on, the nose piece (the piece with the F O R D letters on it) needs to be painted black or matching the dark blue, as the inside of it is very visible when the hood is open (all the time at car shows).  There are other areas he may be reworking too, but we won't see them until he points them out when he's done.  I really respect a craftsman that wants his customer satisfied that he got what he paid for.  He'll have the car until Thursday, May 31, then I'll take it back to the upholstery shop to have the trunk side pieces reinstalled (I didn't want to take a chance that they might get oversprayed or damaged when working on the rear tail light bezels), the The car will be prepared for the June 2, 2012, Huntington Beach Concours Saturday Hot Rod show.

I'll try to get some photos of the repair work during the next two weeks.

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are some photos of that Santini is working on now.  He found that the paint bubble near the back of the driver side drip rail was probably due to a migrating air bubble in the 2-part drip rail sealer he used (first time he'd used this particular product).  The passenger side drip rail and front of the roof drip rail filled in with no problems what ever and are still very nice.  However, the driver side drip rail seems to have some problems that Santini believes to be faulty mixing of the 2-part mixture as it flowed out of the applicator.  Pete says that the self leveling compound still hasn't fully cured after close to a year following the appliction.  He said the compound is supposed to be flexible, but of a consistant texture.  The driver side mixture didn't apparently flow the same as that on the other drip rail areas, as there are places where the mixture didn't reach side to side in the drip rail and it wasn't noticed until recently.  He's contacting the manufacturer today.  Bummer!!!

The tail light bezel just doesn't fit properly and he's going to see what can be done to get a better fitment.  I'll keep you all advised as the touch up repair continues.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

My taillight bezels were not a good fit as well..they are suprisingly maleable though-as long as you are carefull- I was able to move the metal around a bit without cracking them where it was protruding past the sheet metal..helped quite a bit to get a good blend without excess filler before I molded them in.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Sorry to see that Bob. What a major PITA :angry5:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Rich & Ron:

Thanks guys, yea it is a PITA.  I don't remember who it was that told me, but it was something like, "ain't nothing easy."  Santini has dug out the driver side drip rail & found that the two part epoxy apparently didn't mix well.  I've taken spme photos of both the drip rail being prepared for the new drip rail sealer and a couple of a chunk of the partially cured sealer Santini dug out.

There has been a slight change in the repair plans.  As soon the roof repairs are done I get the car back for a few weeks.  Then in early August I'll give him the car again to get the tail light bezels done.  The beat goes on.

Bob
57 AGIN

gasman826

It always seems that you take two steps back to get anywhere.  It'll get there. 

There's a reason they call them gutters.  Just cut them off!

JimNolan

Bob,
   The body and paint man on my 57 and 63 was done by a brillant young man who had to have everything perfect. He did an outstanding job on my 57 especially since the only metal that didn't have to be replaced was the hood, trunk and roof (seemed that way). But, he did make a mistake in a few places. The reason they stick out to me is because everything else was so perfect. On my 57 he tried a new product to fill the space between the trunk sheet metal and braces so he could get a good block sand. The new material he used was good for about 6 months and then it distorted the sheet metal a little when it cured and the sun heated the sheet metal. I'm the only one that notices it. But you can't fix it without doing it over and he's dead now. Good luck with your drip rails, you know they'll turn out nice. Just make sure Santini does'nt die on you. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57AGIN

Gasman826 & Jim:

The advice on cutting off the rain gutter will definitely be taken under advisement, provided it doesn't work this time.

As to making sure Santini doesn't die on me.  I'm pretty safe there, he's about 10 years younger than me.

Bob
57 AGIN 

Zapato

Cutting off the drip rail is ok if you never drive in the rain. if you do and its raining hard can almost guarantee 2 things will happen. 1st you'll get a wet leg as you step out of the car (drive a convertible and you'll understand) and your carpet will also get a good shot of wet stuff. Next that wet carpet will lead to rotten floors.

That drip rail is pinch welded in, easy enough to cut out but the only real good way to take care of that seam is welding.

Surely Santini will come up with a better product and everything will be fine.

Years ago I bought a car that had so much wax built up in the drip rail that it served no functional purpose. Here in the PNW a car without a drip rail is a nuisance as a daily driver. The factories wouldn't have wasted the money and effort on them otherwise.

However if you're filling it full it again serves no purpose. So you might as well cut it off for a cleaner look.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

All very good points and should be well considered before making any change from stock to custom.  Once you make the first cut there is pretty much no going back.  Remember when the late models went to gutterless and everyone complainted about getting a lap full of water every time they opened the door.  Most younger car owners don't even know what is a driprail.  Thanks for the heads up but it is already done.  Since my roof was so bad, I skinned it with a donor roof.  With the roof skin off, I could clean a prep the sub structure to fasten the skin back on without using the driprail attachment points.  It was a challenge to say the least.  I like the look.  The last time I drove the car in the rain, I had beach towels to mop up the water.  So what's new!
Roof skinless:

Roof skin on--gutterless:

Another view during blocking:

57AGIN

Zapato & Gasman826:

I think Santini has left enough of a depression in the drip rail filler to actually work as a drip rail.  Anyway, you all know, "it never rains in Southern California."  Although, "when it does it pours."  lol

I really like your 57, stance, etc.  In your lower photo (probably due to the lighting) it almost looks like your driver door is NASCAR style (welded shut & seamless). Just hike yourself up slip in behind the wheel feet first & blast off.  lol Looking forward to seeing your car on the road.

Bob
57 AGIN

gasman826

When I do the blocking, I fill right though the seams.  After I finish sanding, I cut the seams back out and sand the edges.  But, I did like the look and was considering the welded door seams.  I don't know which would be worse, watching me doing the Dukes of Hazard entry or the wife!  Did the NASCAR Driving School thing...drive six laps driving a detuned car around Michigan International Speedway.  That was fun!!!  Scared?  Naw...but I was really concerned about embarrassing myself getting my fat self into that little window.

57AGIN

Guys:

I've got my 57 back again from Santini.  This go round he completely repainted the roof and replaced all of the drip rail caulking on the driver side.  While the car was there he noticed water spotting on the hood hand had one of his guys color sand and buff out the hood again.  Neither Rick nor I can figure out where the water spotting came from as I have not let water touch the car since I got it back in April.  The car will go back to Santini in early August for the nose piece painting on its back side and the tail light bezel reworking. 

Meanwhile here are a couple of photos from this 57 AGIN's visit back to Santini.

57AGIN

Guys:

Here are a couple of more photos from Santini's shop during this visit. 

One of Pete standing beside 57 AGIN just before I drove it home to prep it for Saturday's Hot Rod Show at the Huntington Beach Concours 'd Elegance weekend show. 

One of an Elenore type clone of a 66 Mustang being worked on while my 57 was in Pete's shop for the refurbishment.  The owner had purchased many after market parts, nearly all were of poor fitment & quality, requiring a great deal of TLC to get installed and looking half way decent.  this car should go into the paint booth later this week.

The last shot is of a 2013 Honda that Pete was contracted to do a weird tearing up the concrete paint job for.  Most of Pete's work is Insurance, some is for guys like me just wanting a nice paint job on their ride, some for the guys like the owner of the Elenore clone.  But one segment of his business is for auto/motorcycle/truck manufacturers wanting a special theme paint job for one of their products.  During the time my 57 was in the shop, Pete did 5 or 6 of these.  Last Winter he had to travel to Oregon for about a week to paint some Semi Truck & Trailers for some specialty show.  He leads an interesting life and from my perspective does some amazing things with paint.

Bob
57 AGIN