News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

caltracs

Started by rmk57, 2012-05-31 19:39

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I was wondering what model number is used for 57 Fords. Reason I'm asking is there's a set for sale locally on Craigslist, model number 6400 which says 64-73 Mustang and Falcon.
Thanks Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

John has a website. :003:
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

Yea, I know. I looked there first and there is no listing for a 57 Ford. I thought there were at least 2-3 people on this forum with them installed. I'll try e-mailing and go from there.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

I would say, that due to the similarity of chassis and suspension, that the guys here started with Cal Tracs for `61-64 Galaxie.  Note that each of them had to modify the forward spring hangers for the forward brackets on the Cal Tracs also.I'm pretty sure that they don't make a set specifically for the `57-`59 cars, yet anyway.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Guys:

Yes, the CalTracs do require minor modifications to the front of the frame where the CalTrac connect to the front of the leaf spring.  Mine also had to change from a double ended bayonette shock to a shock with a bayonette top and an eye bottom (this was to use an adjustable type shock instead of a non-adjustable one). I believe James is correct about which CalTrac is used, a 60 Galaxie uses a model model 6200 drag version with 2-holes,  the 6201 is the street version (less agressive) having just one hole, according to the product information selections on the CalTrac web page.  I love mine, which are the two hole version set to the street  (less agressive hole).

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

By the way, the Mustang units probably won't work, as the `57-64 Fords use a 2 inch wide leaf spring and associated mounts/hardware, where the Mustang and Falcons use 2 1/2 inch wide springs.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

I never even thought of the wider springs being different between the two. I was thinking the length from a Mustang to a Galaxie would for sure be different. I'll just use a pair of Lakewood
bars I have laying around and save the 300 bucks for something else. Thanks for the replies. Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429