News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

race/shootout

Started by wv 57s forever, 2013-08-25 16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Jim. Sounds like you had a close call. I guess the good news for you, and John, is your both here and able to talk about going to the shootout. Stuff like what you've gone thru makes you appreciate the things you enjoy in life....just take care of yourself while doing them! You guys have lots of friends here that don't want to be reading bad news.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Thanks Rich and James,
   I'll say one thing about losing 5 pints of blood over a 3 hr. period. The talk you have with Jesus is more meaningful. I begged but for one thing, not to get better but to save my soul. I figure there's enough kids at St. Jude that deserve their body's healed more than mine. I just hope the new found attitude towards how I express myself stays with me. Ain't much argument left in me right now. I especially regret saying some off the wall things to James months ago. He didn't deserve it and I'm better than that. I ask his forgiveness. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Jeff Norwell

You take care Jim.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ecode70D

Jim and John
     I will keep both of you in my prayers and I really mean it!!
     Happy to hear that both of you are on the road to recovery.
     May both of you  be here to see and to participate in many many more race/shootouts.
Jay 

PS 
  " I'll say one thing about losing 5 pints of blood over a 3 hr. period. The talk you have with Jesus is more meaningful. I begged but for one thing, not to get better but to save my soul.  Quote  Jim"
      Jim I get the message and know exactly what  you are saying.  Jay 

57 Ford Kustom

Jim, thanks for your testimony, very inspiring. Tim
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JimNolan

Just got back from Columbus. I beat my car to death Friday and had no idea what to dial when I got through running. I ran 5 times and my times varied from 15.7-14.6. So I dialed 14.6 in the Shootout between Nick ( Tom's buddy, forgot his last name, real nice guy), Larry Nickoson and myself. Allen White left Saturday morning ( he had water in the trunk and he was afraid they run him off the track like they did last time when water dripped from his car onto the track). Anyway, Nick and me ran the first heat and at the end of the track Nick said he let up because I was so far behind. I passed him at the finish line. For the Bragging Rights I dialed 14.6 against Larry's 12.5 second 300 and pulled a good reaction time and crossed the finish line in front of him. Problem was, I ran a 14.3 and broke out. I could see him in my mirror and I could have let up. But, to tell the truth that was the only run I'd had this weekend that it felt like I was flying. Everything was working and I didn't want to let up. Win or lose I wanted to play that run out. I'm happy, it's a heavy car and 14.3 isn't anything to be ashamed of when you use it like I do. Jim
PS:   Tom Drummand brought me another hat button with the Y-Block event printed on it. (they gave me one for Byron also). This time my name was printed on it as well. I want everyone to know how much I appreciate him including me with their group even though I don't run a Y. I had a great time. Thanks Tom and Bob Martin and the rest of the Y-Block group.

RICH MUISE

Sounds like a great time. I'm envious of you guys getting together like that. The racing part of it sounds like a ball, but that's something I'm not going to be doing for sure...don't even want to think about trying to learn all the engine/drivetrain stuff you need to know for it..just to old to start into something that takes another lifetime of learning. Besides I'll be estatic just to get it to the point I can turn the key and drive it down the street. But, I'd sure like to hear from somebody that's got a same weight '57 w/ basically stock 4.6 dohc drivetrain as what mine will be that has raced theirs. Just curious what kinda numbers. I'm not building a racer for sure, but it shouldn't be a slouch either.
Jim..any idea what the weight of your car is?

JimNolan

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-09-01 09:06

Jim..any idea what the weight of your car is?
Rich,
   I've never weighted my car but given the specs that you find on 57Ford.com website I figure with me in the car I'm pushing 4066 lbs down the strip. That's throwing in my weight plus 10 lbs for floor mats, 20 lb for traction bars and 25 lb for bigger tires. I figure a 312 and the 410 engine I have is about the same weight. Jim

RICH MUISE

That's in the neighborhood of what I was guessing. My little custom should be about 400-450 less than that with me in it. The loaded Aluminum 4.6dohc with the 4R70W tranny isn't all that much more weight than the original 6. A lot of stuff I've changed is much lighter than the oem stuff like seats,window mechanisms,steering, no back bumper, etc. etc.

Ecode70D

Jim
   I'm rather  new  so  what body style do you have?   I already know what Rich has.
A picture would be nice.
Jay

JimNolan

Jay,
Here's a picture of it at National Trail Raceway this weekend.

JPotter57

Fairlane looks good as always.  I also apologize for letting my pride get the better of me.  Lifevis too short,  you know?  I am glad you guys had a god time..I saw all the times last night on nra site....good show.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

Thanks Jim
   I was kinda thinking that it's a Fairlane but was not sure.  It looks absolutely beautiful.  Is there much difference in weight between a Custom and a Fairlane?

JimNolan

The 57Ford.com website says 100 lbs but that's unbelievable to me. The first time I can get my car weighed I'll do it.

GaryI72

Thank you for those paint codes, Jim.  We got it painted, but it's still looks a little rough.  That photo is our goal. Your car is a beauty.

Gary I