News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Question to Gasman Gary

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-12-14 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

"Quote Gasman826
.  The '70s pickups had braces and the bumper would flex back and wrinkle the fender.  The bumper would move back to its original position and the fender would be buckled.  Same with the '57.  My '57 did not have the common bracket.  It had a brace from the outer end of the bumper back to the rear bumper bracket bolt on the frame.  This brace kept the bumper from vibrating but not sacrifice the fender with a small bumper impact.  I have both sets of braces and am still trying to decide which to use."

Gary
     At this very moment I am at that stage where I have to make the decision of how to attach the front fender extensions and don't want to use the ones that attach to the sheet metal.
      Is there any chance that you would post a picture of the brace that goes from the outer end of the bumper back to the rear bumper bracket bolt on the frame.  I would be inclined to make a pair of them for my car.  Thank you very much.   Jay

gasman826

I found an old picture of the braces.  I'll have to do a mock up and take pictures to show installation.

RICH MUISE

Mine are still attached to the bumper...I'll get a pic posted tommorrow.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Gary
    That's OK.   
    You don't have to do a mock up.  Now I know what it is supposed to look like.   If you do have a  pair of them,  would you give me an overall measurement or take a picture of the edge of one or them so I can get an idea of the angle of the bends on the ends.
Thank you very much .   Jay .   

Ecode70D

Rich and Gary
     That bracket is going to be a whole lot better than using these dangerous ones that attach to the inner sheet metal.  I would hate to get a little tap and have to stretch my fender to straighten it.
      They're going to be easy to make.
       This sure is a good forum.  The guys do make a serious effort to help each other.
Thank you very much!   Jay

hiball3985

I'm glad you brought up this question Jay, I don't have those either. Did they come from the factory with those or where they possibly a dealer added item after they found the damage that could be done with just the ones going to the sheet metal?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

well, I misspoke. I went out and looked, and I do have those brackets. GR#2!!**%

Ecode70D

Rich...   I think you meant to say that you do not have them.  Right?

Gary...  Are the ends bent in opposite directions?

Jim.....  I don't know if they are factory or not.  Most likely Gary knows and he will let us know.
            There is one thing that I do know since my bumper ends are bowed out a little.  I'm  not
            going to use the ones that I  have that connect to sheet metal.   Until I get a set
            made  like in Gary's picture, I'll use something hi tech like coat hanger connected
            to the frame       

rmk57

Not the best pics, I can get more if you need them. Bolts may not be the right way around.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

rmk57

Frame bracket
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Jay, no, LOL,... I meant to say I have those brackets..."those" meaning the ones like you have
Rich

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-12-15 14:06
Jay, no, LOL,... I meant to say I have those brackets..."those" meaning the ones like you have
Rich

Yes Rich
   That's what I understood you to say..   
    What we need is pictures of the ones that Gary has.  Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: rmk57 on 2013-12-15 13:59
Not the best pics, I can get more if you need them. Bolts may not be the right way around.

Randy

Randy
    That's the same way I have my bolts facing.  I'm sure that someone will tell us if that is right or wrong.
    The thing I'm trying to do is to not use that bracket from the sheet metal to the bumper end.
     I need to make a pair like the ones Gasman posted in his picture.  His brackets do not bolt to the sheet metal panels.  They go directly from the frame to the bumper end.    Jay

rmk57

Now I get it! Yes the ones that bolts to the back of the valance could buckle the fender in a collision.
Now I've got to make myself a set! 1/8 x 1 1/4 flat bar should do the trick.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Randy
      I heard that all it takes is  very slight tap and you can bent the arch in the front fender.  It's no picnic  straightening that section and making it look right.
      I'm not 100% sure that Ford really did make the bracket we want for the 57, but I'm not going to take a chance with the ones that I posted in my picture.   Jay.