News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Happy Easter to me!!

Started by 57 imposter, 2015-04-05 17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

The 18,000 mile 4.6L GT crate motor in my 61 unibody launch a rod on start up. Don't have any idea why but I am so discouraged that I am just going to put it out in the car port and let it think about what it has done. If there is an upside, it is that I told my wife that when the car is finished I will need another project. Turns out it will be the pickup......Again!

lalessi1

That REALLY sucks!!! (I am at a loss for words other than those....)
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Sorry to hear that, Doug. That's gotta be depressing.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

I hate to hear that.  I am planning to do a whole Crown Vic/Grand Marquis frame swap in my unibody with wiring, fuel, brakes, drivetrain when I get my 57 rolling, and that will be when I get my son's 79 Pace Car Mustang painted and reassembled.  It will be a while, I guess.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57 imposter

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2015-04-06 15:09
I hate to hear that.  I am planning to do a whole Crown Vic/Grand Marquis frame swap in my unibody with wiring, fuel, brakes, drivetrain when I get my 57 rolling, and that will be when I get my son's 79 Pace Car Mustang painted and reassembled.  It will be a while, I guess.

If you take long enough, I may have gotten around to mine to see what went wrong. I feel that it must have been some kind of an hydraulic problem. the key had been on for about ten minutes while he was trying to pull codes out for a hard starting problem.. I think one of the injectors let enough fuel thru to cause the problem. I can think of no other reason for kind of failure on start up.

Ecode70D

Doug
    That's a huge bummer.   What recourse do you have since it happened on start up?

canadian_ranchero

i have been told that the mod motor oil pumps can loose prime when they sit for a long time and have a hard time sucking the oil up the long pick up tube when the oil pump is dry 

57 imposter

The truck had been out of storage for about a week and running perfectly. For some unknown reason, it became hard to start when cold, once started, it would work fine the rest of the day. that's the reason i was having it checked for codes even tho I had no check engine light on. I am going to be surprised if this turns out to be an engine failure. I feel it was caused by something else like fuel leaking into the cylinder. Oil level in the pan is fine and no coolant loss. I am putting a call into Scott at the Detail Zone to see if he thinks it is worth sending my computer in to see if he can find anything that might be causing the starting issues, as we never did find anything to cause that. Would hate to put another engine in only to find i have all the same issues.

junior58

Maybe the hard starting is related to an injector issue, if in fact it has an injector issue. If it was dribbling while sitting, it could cause flooding, making it hard to start. When it did start would it blow black smoke? A leaking injector wouldn't cause much of a problem while you are using it during the day as it wouldn't sit long enough to flood. If it had hydrauliced due to flooding I would be surprised if it broke the rod, usually it would bend it. Having said that, these engines have powdered metal rods so maybe they don't have a lot of bend in them but break instead.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

57 imposter

didn't notice any smoke and when the engine did start, it ran very smooth. And your right powered metal rods have no bend in them..It could be just an incredible coincidence and that rod was going to fail one way or another. may never know ,for sure

57 imposter

Been doing a little research on long blocks for the pickup. Ford wants around 5000.00 for a rebuilt. Seemed a bit excessive. Then, on E-Bay I found a company called Promar Engines. They have around 1700 transactions with 100% positive feedback. They have a GT engine in stock for about 2500.00, they pay freight both ways, don't add a core charge at the time of purchase and say as long as the rod didn't break the block the core will be acceptable. It all sounds pretty attractive.
Even if my engine is salvageable, which is still to be determined, it seems like by the you do all the labor, machine work and parts purchase it is very easy to get close to that 2000.00 range and the replacement engine from a cost and turnaround time factor gets pretty attractive. My question is, have any of you guys dealt with Promar or know anyone who has? Would be interested in any information anyone could provide.

Zapato

OR? If you're willing to take a gamble there's a 4.6 w/5sp out of a 2000 Mustang GT just sitting between the frame rails in my 57 that is willing to leave here for $1500-. Was told only that it was taken from a wreck to go into a 36 ford but then the project went another way. Everything is there minus the ECU but you already have one. I have both the Mustang and the Lincoln oil pans. PM if you have any questions and we can swap phone numbers and have a chat.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72